What are the essential stops for a two-day tour of tacos?

Any photos? Ordering tips?

1 Like

i heard about them from la taco, which has great pictures: Oven-Roasted, Beautifully Charred Goat ‘Birria Tatemada’ Has Arrived in Boyle Heights ~ L.A. TACO
they also have an instagram where they update, and also post pictures of goat before/after roasting https://www.instagram.com/birriaeljaliciense/

the only decision to make are whether you want the consome separate or not, and the quantity of meat you want.
menu:

another bang bang option for a different but also fantastic take on birria consome would be birreria nochistlan at 3200 e. 4th st., maybe 5 minutes away by car.

2 Likes

Here’s my photos from a previous post. If you’re ordering only for yourself and eating there. I’d recommend the number 2. You get a mix of the different cuts, tortillas, salsa, onions and cilantro on the side, and the cup of consome separate from the meat which is great to sip after a bite. Grab a seat and dig in.

If you’re taking it to go, the number 7 is a better deal, You get a pound of the meat, all the fixings and consome on the side, good for leftovers or splitting with someone.

Definitely pay attention to their IG account, they are there most Saturdays but not every one and with the holidays coming up, pretty sure they’ll take a few weeks off.

7 Likes

Thank you! Gonna try to make this happen SOON!

Y’all are right. Definitely fallen off.

Tortillas are mushy/gummy, and the asada has no smoke whatsoever. Coasting on the quesataco cheese aspect, and they can’t seem to figure out the salsas.

*I should specify this refers to the Silver Lake location!

2 Likes

apparently Walter has been manning the grill at the new location (4th and Seaton in the arts district), so maybe that one is currently hewing closer to the original standard?
I think Asadero Chikali is currently doing the best flour tortilla/asada taco.

Tacos y Birria La Unica now has a midcity location (5871 Venice Blvd)

4 Likes

What time of day are you normally hitting them up for this? I love a couple of their guisados, but have never been impressed by the asada. Somehow always seems old and tired when I’ve been.

2 Likes

How is the mid city location of La Unica?

Still the best birria quesatacos in the game with the salsa aceite and consommé. 10/10.

2 Likes

Have you been to Perro 110? Thoughts if so…

Question: did the og El Ruso grill outside or in the truck? And did it have a salsa bar? Just curious.

*As an aside, I’ve had great results with the flour tortilla recipe in David Castro Hussong’s The Baja California Cookbook (of Fauna fame). Probably the beef tallow.

1 Like

I keep hearing good things about Perro 110 but I haven’t been.

Walter definitely grilled meats outside the trailer at the OG el ruso, tho I always thought the stewed stuff was better. I don’t remember a salsa bar.

1 Like

Get the asada vampiro “Chikali” style. I usually go to the original location on Atlantic on Sunday around noon and the asada is usually fresh. They had fresh pollo asado right after I left, which is damn good. The bistec con papa is also pretty tasty.

5 Likes

Is that on a tortilla or costra?

It is a flour tortilla with cheese on top, grilled until crispy. The “Chikali” style is with the pinto beans and guacamole on top.

1 Like

I tried their new location a few weeks back, and it was as great as the original. In fact, one of the main guys took my order - I think he’s the son and usually took orders at the original. So friendly as always, and his presence gave me confidence that they’d have the same standards. I went all chivo this time, great. Consomme and salsas (I like a combo of aceite and arbol) on point as always.

3 Likes

LA Taco top 10 places to take visitors with a map at the bottom of the article. A lot of places mentioned in the thread are included and a few new names

5 Likes

I respect the hell out of LA Taco but I just don’t understand the continued love they give El Ruso - makes me feel like they haven’t actually been in a long time, and tossed it in as a legacy spot.

Quibbles with Don Cuco and some others, but El Ruso is egregious to me.

3 Likes

Anyone had Evil Cooks? I past by them and saw a pretty big line the last time I was back home. I regret not trying it.

1 Like

Have you had the specific taco they recommend, carne asada on cheese-crusted flour tortilla?

1 Like

Speaking of flour - anyone got a rec for fish tacos on flour tortillas?

1 Like

evil cooks is pretty solid, i would compare it to maybe tireshop, and a touch below macheen. the octopus is very photogenic but i found it a tier or two below the octopus at holbox.

i would actually say the standouts at evil cooks are 1) the vegan tacos - they are solid even outside of the category of vegan, and if you ever have to take vegans around LA, i would put this as #2 taco option behind Todos Verde, and 2) the dessert tacos - these make a stop worthwhile if youre nearby. the line at their home location thins out by 6

5 Likes