What are your tips to enjoying Thanksgiving?

Any special recipes or food you bring to elevate your Thanksgiving meal??

Try a little bit of everything but I mainly eat rice, dark meat turkey, and gravy for thanksgiving. To me this is the best combo and it’s also probably why I love Hawaiian food since everything is saucy and served with rice.

Lap cheong fried sticky rice. I “raw stir fry” sticky rice with chicken stock (kinda like the same process as paella). After the rice is partway done cooking, I add lap cheong dried shittske mushrooms and fresh shittake (or other mushrooms). You can add dried mini shrimp, water chestnuts, or peanuts but I rarely do that. Top with green onion.

Next morning use left over turkey bones and drippings to make turkey congee. Save dark meat and gravy to eat with rice lol.

9 Likes

The best tip to enjoy thanksgiving is being somewhere your ranty, conspiracy theory loving uncle/aunt/cousin/sibling isn’t…

Foodwise, given some form of traditionaly TG meal, I’m w/ @hungryhungryhippos. Mostly dark meat and gravy. In my case, supplemented by a small salad (blue cheese vinaigrette w/ candied pecans) , mashed taters, and a roll or two if they’re fresh baked (and since I make them, they are). I’ll leave the green beans and other accoutrements to the rest of the gang.

Dessert is a brownie, which I also make, and must be limited to one, lest I wreck my delicate constitution.

6 Likes

Don’t eat breakfast. We eat Thanksgiving around noon every year so we can start drinking at 11am. Naps start around 2pm and people can start making leftovers whenever they want usually around 5/6.

9 Likes

Hijacking - any bakeries in LA (midcity/eastside) to recommend for parkerhouse/high quality dinner rolls?

1 Like

Nice

1 Like

We do that, too!

3 Likes

I don’t have a bakery suggestion, but this recipe:

has turned into an annual DEMAND from my partner’s sister. It’s VERY easy (dump ingredients into mixer. knead with hook. Rise. degas, portion and shape. proof. bake.

Rolls are about the easiest thing to shape, and if you’re not perfect, it’s fine. These are just a touch sweet, nice and rich from the milk/milk powder, and act as fabulous butter/gravy sponges.

3 Likes

Buying a good turkey is crucial. Leave the cavity empty, stuffing fucks up the roasting.

I don’t have more than a bite of the things I don’t care about, and all I really care about are the turkey and some rolls or bread to go with it. Then later I have appetite for the mayonnaise sandwich seasoned with turkey that’s my favorite dish of the day.

That’s the last thing that Thanksgiving needs. A friend once made a foodie version of green bean casserole from scratch with all farmers market ingredients and it was not good.

2 Likes

Please elaborate on leaving cavity open?

I’m tasked with the turkey this year.

2 Likes

Eastside… Howies Market

Howie's Market on Instagram: "Like and follow if you agree."

2 Likes

I’ve spatchcocked for years. You don’t get the money shot, but it cooks super fast and far more evenly than any other method. Saves soooo much time.

3 Likes

Alternative suggestion from the LA Times: whole roasted Nosferatu head.

Not cooking this year. Invited to Thanksgiving . Bringing Belvedere and lemons .
Enjoy the people who you are with . Cheers.

2 Likes

Uhhh Yumm!

1 Like

This is more of a reminiscence than a rec. For decades my family bought parker house rolls for Tday from Thee’s Continental Bakery at the OG Farmers Market on 3rd. The owner retired and sold to Shortcake which opened & closed before you could blink. :smirk:

1 Like

Ditto. It’s my favorite. But I switch it up and do one w/mayo & turkey and a hot one w/gravy & turkey. :yum:

Sometimes I put apple halves in the cavity.

Aromatics in the cavity are fine, the key thing is air flow.

1 Like