What dish do you cook that everyone raves about?

Molasses Sherry Vinegar Carrots
This is approximation.

Ingredients:
1 - 1-1/2 Lbs Carrots w/stems (whole baby or sliced lengthwise)
Rosemary sprig
1 Tbls Molasses
2 Tbls Brown Sugar
1 Tbls Olive oil
2 Tbls Butter
1-2 Tbls Sherry vinegar (depends on your taste)
1/2 Cup Water
Salt & Pepper

Heat pan w/oil (hot)
Add carrots, sugar, molasses, water, vinegar, salt, pepper. Let Caramelize & water reduce.
When almost cooked add rosemary & butter. Cook about minute longer. Add more water if necessary.
When done remove rosemary sprig.
Garnish w/chopped carrot stem instead of parsley (stems have herby carroty flavor, brilliant)

About what they should look like.

1 Like

Guacamole
I don’t know why this is so loved. It seems like an ordinary recipe to me. Maybe I have a good palate for the right amount of everything. Anyway, this is an approximation. I hope I do it justice.

10 Avocados
1-2 Limes juiced (depends on your taste)
2-3 Roma tomatoes (seeds scooped out, then diced)
1 Jalapeño (minced)
2 Garlic cloves (minced)
White onion or a few Scallions
Cilantro (chopped)
Cumin (couple dashes)
Chili powder (dash - optional)
Salt (generous) & Ground black pepper
If your avocados aren’t completely ripe or you just feel like it, add a little Sour Cream for creaminess.

A bowl of mints, for your guest’s breath.

I dice half the avocados and mash the rest for a balance of smooth and chunky.

Always taste it with a chip. So you know exactly how it’s going to taste for your guests.

3 Likes

You should try some bitter melon tempura.

And no this isn’t one of this instances where everything is better fried.

I think the best prep for bitter melon is picked fresh from your garden, halved, deseeded, sliced thin, and tossed with some minced garlic, white pepper, dissolved rock sugar, and a judicious splash of white vinegar to bring it all together. Then let it rest, covered, in the fridge overnight. Goes particularly well with DongPo pork or pork belly.

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanky!

1 Like

One thing: On the garlic - when I wrote minced I really meant it, preferably with a garlic press. You should taste it, but not chew it.

@ipsedixit I’m not a very good gardener but, if you happen to do all that sometime, I’d be happy to drop by and try it. One tiny bite.

@TheCookie Fabulous recipe, can’t wait to try it! And no worries on the garlic. I never see garlic in recipe instructions. It’s invisible to me.

2 Likes

Oh sorry. The garlic tip was for @President_Mochi. He asked for the guacamole recipe.

Hola DD!
I have extra grilled chicken breast and a Dona Maria from .99cent store and I’m gonna smother the breast with the mole and homemade Spanish rice and some flour tortillas to sop up that mole…
Wish I had some of DD’s homemade mole tho’…:tongue:
Besos

2 Likes

Made the Dona Maria mole with grilled chicken breast with beans instead of rice, along with a dollop of daisy and fresh avocado…delicious but my mind kept wondering how good it would of been with DD mole. . Odelay way!
:hugging:

Delicious

1 Like

My friends call me ‘Salad Queen’…
I prefer Princess but I’ll take any type of Royal pandering, I can get!

I do admit that kick ass on the salads…sometimes its the kitchen sink, and other times its simple ingedients but how its dressed is key.
Love blue cheese dressing, green goddess and a simple lemon vinaigrette.
Gotta have fresh ground pepper and a good sea salt.

2 Likes

Excellent. Maybe we should start a salad thread.

I prefer princess too btw. Queens have too much responsibility.

2 Likes

Yes please. I feel like it’s easy to make a good salad, but I don’t think I’ve ever made a great one.

4 Likes

Exactly

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You got that right, Princess!
:crown:

1 Like

@TheCookie I made your carrots tonight!

Not nearly as pretty as yours, but they were very good, I got some lovely carrots at the farmers market and knew I had to make this.

However… I forgot that molasses and maple syrup are not the same thing. Also, I went out for some rosemary and apparently I had forgotten to water my plant, so I had to chop up dried out needles, which were still flavorful though.

I’m definitely making these again, but proper-like next time. Thank you! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Oh sweet! They look great. Psst… mine don’t look as good my picture either… it was from the internet. I haven’t made them since I started taking pictures of my food :wink:. Did you use the chopped carrot leaves for the garnish?

No, I forgot that part. Next time!