What do you consider 'old-school' Italian?

Coda alla vaccinara should have a lot of celery. Ideally the sort of scrawny, strong-flavored variety that I find sometimes at farmers market (maybe it’s the same cultivar but not bloated by fertilizer or whatever).

We aren’t shopping the same venues. That is the only kind of celery I’ve found in months!

When my best friends nonna … Spoke no English. Had us go out with our bb guns and bring back some sparrows. She cleaned and stuffed those precious birds with i believe was rosemary garlic and breadcrumbs. Baked in the oven served over polenta. I think i was nine or ten years old . I still remember the smell and taste after 55 years . Its still my best meal of life.

7 Likes

Dropped into one of the hottest restaurants in my town the other night. A place called Maria in New Rochelle, N.Y. Known for its flavorful takes on contemporary and traditional global/Italian dishes. Two of my favorites here: their awesome version of Baked Rigatoni and Chicken Scarpariello on the bone with sausage and potatoes. Old school, and still delish!

1 Like

We scoffed down a comforting Chicken Parm Hero yesterday from a favorite red sauce spot. So good…

1 Like

This mystery restaurant was in New Rochelle?

In this case the Parm Hero came from Pelham Pizzeria & Restaurant in Pelham, N.Y. The pizzas here are among the best in the area, so it is often hard to decide between a pizza and another menu item…

2 Likes