What Happens When A Michelin 3 Star Chef Goes Casual: Precision Excellence With A Side of The Cure, OMD & Tears For Fears - Angler L.A. [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

19 Likes

excellent report @Chowseeker1999 thank you. i need to try that wild boar, did it have much fat on it, it looks pretty lean in your photos.

I’m surprised you didn’t like the cocktail sauce with the oysters.

also agree with you on all your highlights and the service. next time you have to try one of the best things on the menu, the caviar-banana-pancake taco. worth it.

and if it’s on the menu the heirloom tomato (I’ve only seen it in sf), swordfish, and the melon and coconut sorbet are some of the best i’ve had.

2 Likes

I’m going back next week and hopefully my buddy reserves the wild boar. I think we’re definitely ordering the pancakes with caviar. We have a bigger party going this time so hopefully we can order a lot more food

3 Likes

All the venison I’ve had tasted pretty boring to me. Perhaps no surprise in this case with the antelope. Great report btw. The radicchio and wild boar look mighty interesting.

1 Like

I want to go eat salads and wild boar. Now I must find five friends to join me. Great report! The radicchio salad and the potatoes sound so inventive and delicious.

3 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks. :slight_smile: It’s because of your repeated visits at the SF and now here in LA that made us want to finally give it a shot. So glad we did. Thank you. :slight_smile:

For the wild boar, it is leaner than say the APL beef short ribs, but after cooking it for 8 hours on the hearth, the wild boar is pretty tender while still have some meatiness. It’s just a different style and prep, but I think you’d enjoy it.

I like cocktail sauce (usually with shrimp), but perhaps it just took me by surprise for oysters, but it felt a touch overpowering. I’ll be ordering more oysters at Angler for sure, so I’ll try it with a little less next time. :wink:

Re: Caviar - yes! Thank you for the rec. During our initial visits, I was thinking that it might be just like Saison’s Reserve Caviar prep, etc., so since we had that already, I wanted to try other dishes. But I saw your latest pics and realize it’s something different. :slight_smile:

I’ll definitely keep an eye out for the heirloom tomato, swordfish and the sorbet!

1 Like

HI @Hungrydrunk,

Nice! Hope you enjoy your meal at Angler and looking forward to your report. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The weird thing to me about Angler is the unchanging signature dishes. The radicchio and beet were great but I’m not sure I want to have either a third time.

Thanks for the report! How much is the wild boar?

1 Like

2 Likes

Okay. I’m sold. Next higher end meal is going to be here. Thanks, @Chowseeker1999!

2 Likes

I don’t know if I’ve ever read a report and so badly wanted the veggies afterward!

How much do the salads and the potatoes run?

2 Likes

If they haven’t raised their prices since September, chicory Caesar $16, radicchio $15, beet $15, straw mushrooms $14, potato $13. The potato I had in SF was a complete fail. David Chang said in his podcast with Skenes that he didn’t like the one he had, either.

2 Likes

Previous reports:

straw mushrooms are 18 and potato is 16 now

2 Likes

sf potato is different than la potato

https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/2/1/2143aa7c5cf7b8610e3e7dda730c51a6a2d1eda6.jpeg

https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/3/a/3a62e21e91072434938c75ad7d0838e810c5a2e7.jpeg

3 Likes

Hi @Sgee,

Thank you. :slight_smile: We were hoping the fact that the Pronghorn Antelope was dry aged 3 weeks might’ve made a difference, but it was surprisingly very light / bland.

Thanks @Bookwich! I was thinking of you and @TheCookie and other FTC’ers who enjoy great vegetable dishes, and even those that normally don’t, the Radicchio with Radicchio X.O. and Sweet Chicory Caesar were just really stunning and so full of flavor. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

What @robert and @PorkyBelly said are the current prices for those (fairly reasonable for the amount of work and stunning flavors in those dishes). :slight_smile: Get their Parker House Rolls & Cultured Butter (made from their own dairy cows) for $12 and that’s a glorious meal right there. :wink: (But you should take @PorkyBelly’s advice and get a Live Spot Prawn w/ Harissa and sop up the sauce and juices.)

3 Likes

Potatoes look the same to me except in LA they cut it into wedges. I don’t see how that would make it less dry.