What Happens When A Michelin 3 Star Chef Goes Casual: Precision Excellence With A Side of The Cure, OMD & Tears For Fears - Angler L.A. [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks. :slight_smile: Itā€™s because of your repeated visits at the SF and now here in LA that made us want to finally give it a shot. So glad we did. Thank you. :slight_smile:

For the wild boar, it is leaner than say the APL beef short ribs, but after cooking it for 8 hours on the hearth, the wild boar is pretty tender while still have some meatiness. Itā€™s just a different style and prep, but I think youā€™d enjoy it.

I like cocktail sauce (usually with shrimp), but perhaps it just took me by surprise for oysters, but it felt a touch overpowering. Iā€™ll be ordering more oysters at Angler for sure, so Iā€™ll try it with a little less next time. :wink:

Re: Caviar - yes! Thank you for the rec. During our initial visits, I was thinking that it might be just like Saisonā€™s Reserve Caviar prep, etc., so since we had that already, I wanted to try other dishes. But I saw your latest pics and realize itā€™s something different. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll definitely keep an eye out for the heirloom tomato, swordfish and the sorbet!

1 Like

HI @Hungrydrunk,

Nice! Hope you enjoy your meal at Angler and looking forward to your report. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The weird thing to me about Angler is the unchanging signature dishes. The radicchio and beet were great but Iā€™m not sure I want to have either a third time.

Thanks for the report! How much is the wild boar?

1 Like

2 Likes

Okay. Iā€™m sold. Next higher end meal is going to be here. Thanks, @Chowseeker1999!

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve ever read a report and so badly wanted the veggies afterward!

How much do the salads and the potatoes run?

2 Likes

If they havenā€™t raised their prices since September, chicory Caesar $16, radicchio $15, beet $15, straw mushrooms $14, potato $13. The potato I had in SF was a complete fail. David Chang said in his podcast with Skenes that he didnā€™t like the one he had, either.

2 Likes

Previous reports:

straw mushrooms are 18 and potato is 16 now

2 Likes

sf potato is different than la potato

https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/2/1/2143aa7c5cf7b8610e3e7dda730c51a6a2d1eda6.jpeg

https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/3/a/3a62e21e91072434938c75ad7d0838e810c5a2e7.jpeg

3 Likes

Hi @Sgee,

Thank you. :slight_smile: We were hoping the fact that the Pronghorn Antelope was dry aged 3 weeks mightā€™ve made a difference, but it was surprisingly very light / bland.

Thanks @Bookwich! I was thinking of you and @TheCookie and other FTCā€™ers who enjoy great vegetable dishes, and even those that normally donā€™t, the Radicchio with Radicchio X.O. and Sweet Chicory Caesar were just really stunning and so full of flavor. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

What @robert and @PorkyBelly said are the current prices for those (fairly reasonable for the amount of work and stunning flavors in those dishes). :slight_smile: Get their Parker House Rolls & Cultured Butter (made from their own dairy cows) for $12 and thatā€™s a glorious meal right there. :wink: (But you should take @PorkyBellyā€™s advice and get a Live Spot Prawn w/ Harissa and sop up the sauce and juices.)

3 Likes

Potatoes look the same to me except in LA they cut it into wedges. I donā€™t see how that would make it less dry.

Hi @robert,

I havenā€™t tried Angler SF yet, but the Angler Potatoes we had in L.A. were crispy-crunchy on the outside with a moist, tender inside (w/ the basting of the butter, roasting step). None of us felt the potatoes were ā€œdryā€ at all.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a lot better imo, not a fan of the whole potato I had in SF. In general I much preferred the LA location.

1 Like

Great report @Chowseeker1999. There are too many delicious things to comment on. So Iā€™ll just repeat after you. Wow!

1 Like

Amazing report as always.

Speaking of amazing potatoes, at a fraction of the price, I highly recommend the potato wedges at Mh Zh. Itā€™s pretty amazing.

2 Likes

Hi @tailbacku,

Thanks! :slight_smile: Yes, we loved Mh Zh as well. I posted some pics and thoughts here a while back. Thanks for the reminder that I need to go back again. :slight_smile: