What have you learned because of lockdown?

Have you tried those BCD kits they sell. I dress them up in all kinda ways and it’s pretty good!

–Dommy!

1 Like

We haven’t tried BCD but the kids love the rice in the stone pot with the neurougji. Can’t replicate that part at home. The Diamond Bar Yong Dong has some limited outdoor seating and some communal tables outside of Starbucks.

Made my first lacto-fermented hot sauce thanks to @robert posting about it. Used it on my Kogi delivery yesterday and I think it was additive :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A good strainer will do you fine for a quick clean but I wanted to try this technique:

I would say it’s generally a little too finicky if you’re reusing oil the first or second time but if there are very fine particulates and/or the oil is pretty old it does a great job revitalizing it. A very fine filter (like a coffee filter) may do a similar job but I hate dealing with them for volumes larger than a cup or so

Me too!!

4 Likes

I’ve learned that I’m good a pre and post-election anxiety baker and that my friends and neighbors are such enablers.

3 Likes

I made crème fraîche. So easy and such a game changer. Homemade mayo’s next.

4 Likes

Homemade Mayo is worth it. Especially if you have an emersion blender.

2 Likes

I know it. I’ve seen how easy it is with an immersion blender. It’s just one of those things I’ve never gotten around to.

1 Like

I like Trader Joe’s organic mayo about as well as my homemade. I’ll have to try the immersion blender next time I make aioli.

None of the domestic so-called crème fraîche I’ve had tastes like what they make in France. The cultures are wrong. When they taste like yogurt or cottage cheese it’s really depressing.

https://www.kitchenchemology.com/recipes/creme-fraiche-at-home

You can get raw cream here in CA this seems to be suggesting that you can get it to ferment naturally with out adding an outside culture. Maybe this will result in a superior product

I’ve thought about trying that. Actually, now that we have a Brod & Taylor proofer, I should try it, that ought to reduce the risk of failure.

1 Like

Thanks to Trader Joe’s not having delivery, I learned that their dish soap is crappy. I randomly got Field Day and use maybe a tenth as much.

2 Likes

Their dish soap is terrible. It’s like comical how awful it is. Sorry you had to learn that lesson the hard way…

It’s all about that Fabuloso smell :slight_smile:

1 Like

I must have been using some other crappy dish soap before that since I didn’t notice any difference.

Cucumber kimchi and spicy lamb kefta kebab wrap pair well with old Riesling.

1 Like

I learned that I like the DIY restaurant kits (loved Providence! :hearts:) and we don’t miss eating out as much as we thought we would.

I learned that with Farmer’s Markets I can go weeks sometimes months without entering a traditional supermarket and I’m happier for it.

6 Likes

Really ? That’s one of the things we are missing a lot

I doubt I’ll ever go back to eating out as much as I used to. But so far that belief has not been tested by temptation.

I used to go to Safeway every year or so to get unscented dryer sheets. Once in a while I’d go on Thahksgiving or Christmas to deal with some unexpectedly missing ingredient.

2 Likes