What is new that is must try for quick LA trip

Coming back to LA for a weekend in Sept. Looking to see if anything new has opened that I should be trying while I am there. Haven’t been since Feb. Price is flexible really. Not looking for fine dining. Just some quality food. Probably have a drink or two or some wine. Care more about food and any cuisine. Anywhere in LA, Santa Monica etc. Thanks!

Cassia
Shibumi
Raku
Here’s looking at you
Salazar
Officine brera
Kinjiro - not new but still great

3 Likes

Hi @foodie4life,

3 Likes

It might help to know where you are coming from.

Believe @foodie4life is coming from Denver based on posts on that board.

Yup! I am from LA. Moved out to Denver in Feb. We have tons of great options out here in Denver so I am not lacking great food. But really want to try something different when I get back home. I am sick of always just hitting the same restaurants every time I am there.

Howlin Ray’s is number 1 on my list. Going for early lunch on Saturday. I have been dreaming of this sandwich since they opened their place.

2 Likes

Great list. Definitely a few on there I have had my eye on for awhile now.

Good choice with Howlin Ray’s! Get there early, though. Before they open. The line can easily grow to an hour or more within 15 minutes of opening.

If you give up on Howlin Ray’s, or maybe just want the mother of all bang-bangs, head around the corner to Little Jewel of New Orleans for po’ boys.

Also, have you been to Gjusta in Venice? If not, that’s a must imo. Try the porchetta melt and prime rib butcher sandwiches. Soooo good.

2 Likes

If you have time on Sunday I’d recommend a walk through Smorgasburg, which has a ton of cool new vendors and vendors that otherwise have weird hours or distant locations. I’ve gone in the morning and had no issues with crowds or heat. Some good discussion here.

1 Like

Note that Gjusta is not a restaurant, service is very slow, and seating verges on nonexistent. It’s one of the worst places I’ve ever been served good food.

I WISH I could make it to that. I have plans with a super non adventurous eater that morning. So next time I get to town I will be going there looks incredible.

I have been to Gjelina same owner right? That was very excellent. Looking more for a dinner option.

Be there by 10:30 else expect at least 90 minutes wait. I was once there around 10:40, and took about an hour to get my meal.

LASA

Kali

Chicas Tacos

Shibumi

1 Like

Jitlada for Southern Thai - love their pork foot soup - food crazy hot!
Ruen Pair - Thai - I love their blood soup and pork intestines (melt in your mouth!) -and they have an amazing thai dessert place across the mini-mall
BS Taqueria - get their creative options - the regular mexican fare is good but it’s their inventive take on things like rice and beans that shine

I’m not sure Jitlada and Ruen Pair meets the “new” criteria…

This thread needs some pictures.

Howlin Rays

Raku (order at least two of these for yourself)

4 Likes

What are those drumstick looking things?

Tsukune is a Japanese chicken meatball most often cooked yakitori style and sometimes covered in a sweet soy or yakitori “tare”, which is often mistaken for teriyaki sauce. Wikipedia