What is your happiest bite?

I know, right?!

3 Likes

My same age cousin was so good at catching birds when I was in elementary as well.

The kinds he trapped are prettier ones with nice singing voices. Our front yard used to be stacked with bird cages. None of them became food tho :sweat_smile::joy: I was too busy climbing fruit tree eating fruit and watching bugs back then, while waiting for grandma to call my name for the next meal. What a happy time.

2 Likes

Lol I hadn’t thought about it that way but that’s exactly what it is!

1 Like

Honorary member @hubs wants to weigh-in. His happiest bite is Pizzeria Bianco’s Sonny Boy Pizza. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I will never move beyond my childhood staples :joy: like rice krispie treats, my abuelitas carrot cake, my moms macaroni salad

But Kid Cuisine is also the name of a frozen dinner brand :joy:

I knew I was a man when I needed a true frozen dinner

6 Likes

No. It’s still a little bit on the DL… It’s these guys…

They are on Doordash and other food services and are making their dishes out of a ghost kitchen near my house. I had MEH Vietnamese food from that ghost kitchen so when they opened up there a month or so ago… I didn’t pay much mind (We have other excellent tacos choices not far.). But whenever I would go past, I noticed neighborhood folks walking up to the window and ordering a TON of food. My neighbors are hard working folk and are pick AF when it comes to quality and value, especially with Mexican food (so many failed taco tables in the Nabe, even with the E-Line stop)

The first thing, ordering at the window gives you cheaper prices. Doordash has that Quesabirria for $4.75, At the Window I paid $3.50

I also had the Asada Torta which was top notch. Stuffed with great tasting and tender asada. The only one better is at Taqueria Las Anayas, which now is like $17. This one was $12 (With Chips!)

Nice folks too. Worth a stop if you are in the area, there are a few outside tables.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting Primos info Dommy. I did a brief search before realizing I wasn’t going to find them. And kudos to them and all restaurants for charging extra for delivery app orders. If they can’t reject it they might as well make it work for them.

2 Likes

OMG :flushed: Today, I’ve learned something new again!!! @TheCookie :sweat_smile::joy::rofl: no wonder you got the references from @butteredwaffles

Thank you so much @Dommy :two_hearts::hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

4 Likes

I grew up kid cuisines, Michelinas, and a ton of lean cuisines lol

6 Likes

My maternal grandmother’s specialty that I remember was cottage cheese with canned pears, pineapple, or fruit cocktail. I liked it but I didn’t know anything about cheese or fresh fruit.

2 Likes

You’re not really ‘missing out’ on the Kraft Mac n Cheese. It’s really just salty, slightly tangy industrial grade pasta.

I never had the live lobster at Taka, but they are the only place I’ve ever seen, and eaten, live prawns.

The head was on the plate, still twitching.

My partner has threatened to leave the restaurant if I ever got it again. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Heads still twitching. Yes . Reminding me when I was pursuing a women I was interested in. I asked the question. " Do you like Doritos ? " She said no . Next !!!

2 Likes

@hungryhungryhippos the only one I got to experienced in your list was lean cuisine, hahaha.

@robert Strangely enough that I sti enjoy fruit cocktail/dessert from time to time to this day. Possibly growing up with Thai fruit cocktail kinda did that to me. That’s my soft spot!

You’re too funny @Emglow101 :rofl: I need to learn from this… Next time I’ll ask “Do you like Needle?” (Needle restaurant in LA)

@lectroid I tried the basic box to multiple elevated versions of it at high-end restaurants and never fall for any of them lol For the lobster, it’s moving the whole time until I finished the sashimi. Then they proceeded to make miso soup with the moving lobster head :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I love this. I often use the Trader Joes Jarred Pears or my favorite, canned peaches. I’ve tried fresh fruit with Cottage Cheese. It doesn’t work for me. I love in plain or vanilla yogurt, but there is something about the texure and sweetness of canned/jarred fruit that just works so well with cottage cheese. Also, the cottage cheese needs to be Knudsen. All others are awful. Also, Also, bring back large curd.

4 Likes

As an adult I’d rather eat a ripe pear by itself, find canned fruit in syrup gross, and can’t think of a context in which I’d eat cottage cheese.

1 Like

I loved canned refrigerated peaches as a child. Dole canned peaches always tasted bette than generic store brands for some reason.

2 Likes

Ditto this. No syrup land for me :no_good_woman: I’m also not a fan of a mountain powder sugar on top of some already very sweet desserts, but that’s another story :sweat_smile:

@hungryhungryhippos the only thing closest to canned fruit I make when I was little was mixing tard/sour fruit with some cane sugar and let them chill in the fridge for a little, which created a tiny bit of watery syrup at the end. I stopped doing that in my 20s and opt for ripping the fruit the right way instead. I’m literally a fruit bug in human form :beetle:

1 Like

That was one variation I had as a kid. One of my regular lunches was cottage cheese and applesauce. I remember coming home from kindergarten and eating it in front of the TV when my mom was watching her soap operas. I had it for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago when I had a stomach bug. Ah, memories.

2 Likes

I loved canned mandarin oranges as a kid. They mostly come in small cans that I would open and eat out of the can with a spoon then drink the juice. The only other canned fruit I like is pineapple. I put the crushed version in my baked beans.

3 Likes

Canned Mandarins are essential to Chinese Chicken Salad too…

4 Likes