What is your usual In-N-Out order?

That’s what these fries are, “extra extra well-done potato sticks” is how I order them. But for sure, @skramzlife ‘s method takes the guess work out of wondering whether they’ll actually do them like this. A great hack.

They are excellent when prepared this way for cheese fries.

Driving past MDR Costco mid morning today and saw there was a only a 6 car line. Less than 10 mins from getting in line to pulling out with my order. My wife was ecstatic when I walked in and immediately went on break LOL!

Two double-doubles each. Mine with chopped yellow chiles and grilled onions two ways. I forgot to go three ways dammit! Man, those were so good, was gnawing on the cheese paper at the end.

7 Likes

lmao this is literally me

I am gonna start yelling out my own kitchen directions when I am ordering at the register.

“Can I get a double-double, well-done, whole-grilled onions, [lean over and yell to kitchen] ‘Whole-grilled down!’, with chopped chilis, and an order of fries?”

Confession: I have come to terms with In ‘n’ Out fries for who they are and order them as-is. No well-done fries for me.

6 Likes

Genuine question: what is the appeal of them as-is?

The In ‘n’ Out fries are just an irreplaceable part of the In ‘n’ Out experience.
I have tried them in all their permutations: well, light-well, animal, cheese, dipped in ketchup, dipped in spread, salted, etc. etc.

I like the tenderness of the fries as-is. I eat them quickly, sometimes with ketchup. When you order them well-done, they lose all tenderness and become fresh-fried Jagariko.

The important thing with the fries is to eat them quickly and not let them sit.

Also, I have heard it mentioned before that the seasonality of potatoes have an affect on the In ‘n’ Out fries because they are fried fresh. Tasty potatoes = tasty fries. Bad potato = bad fries.

3 Likes

Grease, salt and starch? They’re not great but have real potato flavor that frozen just don’t have. I get them as is too. Don’t like them well done at all -there’s no point in crispy of you don’t have fluffy inside. They just end up being hard.

My hot take: McD’s fries are over rated -they’re fine but not any better than that. They are too thin and lose their heat and crisp quickly.

1 Like

They become chips that I dip in the spread.

Oh I see now, I turn these InO fries into chips and dip instead of fries and ketchup.

To me, them are fightin’ words. :wink:

I do think the fries were worse (but still very good) after the beef tallow change.

2 Likes

Many years ago (probably decades ago), I had my first In-N-Out burger. I tried the popular double double and was diasppointed. Fast forward about 10-20 years and I heard about “Animal Style.” I went back and had the DD animal style (AS) and was again unhappy.

One day several years ago I thought about my problems with digesting dairy, so I gave it one more try. This time I just ordered a double hamburger “AS” with chopped chiles. With the addition of an entire packet of black pepper, I was VERY happy. I conclued that, for me at least, all of the fat in the cheese drowned out the other flavors. Without the cheese, the secret sauce, mustard and onions were all markedly tastier.

I watch my gluten so, even when I’m not trapped in my apartment because of COVID-19, In-N-Out remains just an occasional indulgence, though I am salivating as I write this.

1 Like

If you like cheese but don’t like the ratio you can try something like a 3x1

Just hit two double doubles we’ll done patties and buns, onions 3 ways, no tomato, chopped chili’s

Well done “7 minute fry” fries + neo shake

10 Likes

What a legend

I am NOT a fan of American cheese. If I am going to have trouble digesting it anyways, give me something that I find more flavorful, such as cheddar, Swiss, Jarlsberg or pepper jack.

The third burger would also dilute the zing of the onions and condiments. Two single burgers would be twice the gluten that I try to avoid at most meals.

Dadgummit, I just ate and now I’m hungry. It was one of my frequent vegan meals from Lusy’s, so it’s not a surprise.

1 Like

If you order well done you usually get the whole basket though!

1 Like

You don’t like the protein burger? Does that throw off the ingredients balance for you?

Oh man american cheese is the best but I am also addicted to tostitos queso.

This probably should go on food confessions or something tho lol.

1 Like

I read this thread a while back and went all in for onions 3 ways! I’m gonna have to do that going forward. Also went in for animal fries well done with extra spread, cheese, and grilled onions. Then polished it all off with a neopolitan shake. It was glorious.

4 Likes

I tried the protein burger many years ago. It was kind of sloppy and the small size of the patties was more noticeable. Altough I try to avoid gluten, I felt the “secret sauce” worked better with the buns.

1 Like

There must be an upper limit?