What restaurants serve grass-fed beef?

Sounds nice . I’d be down for a taste off. Though I do think corn finished cattle is richer / fattier . I buy more lamb than beef lately

Where u buying good lamb from?

I’m good with regular lamb at armenian stores usually and marconda once in a while . Got to get that lula kabob action going again this weekend

1 Like

Any store in particular that you recommend? I never really see lamb at regular markets around town.

Carlitos Gardel on Melrose. Gwen used to offer some grass-fed beef on its menu but I don’t know if they are offering on-site dining at the moment,

Standings on Melrose has excellent lamb.

2 Likes

Karabagh, Olive, Sevan

Marconda and Huntington’s both carry nice lamb. Marconda- American H - New Zealand

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. I keep forgetting about this place since we have 2 accross the street. I’ll go today. I expect premium pricing

Your expectation is accurate. I don’t mind given the quality and that it is owner-operated (usually Jered Standing is the one helping me) and very accommodating of special requests, etc. And apropos to the above post, everything they stock is pasture raised, and grass fed in the case of beef — it’s not a special option you need to ask for. But no, it is certainly not the cheapest option.

1 Like

Best grass fed steak I’ve had

2 Likes

Am I nuts or am I the only one who doesn’t care for the taste of grass fed beef?

2 Likes

I always ask butchers and restaurants if the beef is grain finished. I do not care for the taste of grass fed beef, health concerns and environmental concerns aside.

3 Likes

I’ve had braised grass-fed beef dishes that were good.

I recently made Eel River ground beef burgers that were delicious, probably because they include more fat in the grind than you’d get in a steak.

Most of the grass-fed steaks I’ve had were disappointing so I avoid them. A couple of times I’ve had grass-fed ribeyes imported from Argentina or Uruguay that tasted much like corn-fed.

1 Like

That is an excellent point! I have had the same and agree.

I think the sauce masks the grass taste. :slight_smile:

I think that’s just a personal preference. I like the flavor of both although grain finished ones are definitely fattier.

Where did you find Argentinian beef?

Must be friday since i started reading everything as grass-fed beer

1 Like

At an Argentine steakhouse in SF.

Grass-fed steaks don’t taste grassy to me, just relatively bland and not very beefy.

1 Like

I feel like grass feed beef is much more consistently good than it was say 10 years ago. My brother in law did a grass fed tri-tip from whole foods in the BGE. It was really excellent.