What to do with runny marmalade?

So I bought a really yummy Cara Cara Orange Marmalade from the farmers market last week. While it’s super tasty, it didn’t set right (or something) and it’s extremely runny. I really like it but my family is put off by how runny it is so I’m hoping to find something to do with it since I don’t want to eat it all by myself. I’ve googled what to do with runny marmalade and the results are all about re-boiling it, which I’m not interested in doing. I don’t bake much but was wondering if I can use it as a glaze for some easy cake-thing? I have some duck legs in the freezer. Maybe duck a l’orange with legs instead of breasts?

2 Likes

You could use it as a glaze for fruit tarts - although that is baking.

1 Like

For sure you could use it as a glaze on chicken or duck or? Warm it up and use it instead of syrup on pancakes. That’s what I did with one batch of marmalade that did not set and it was delightful! You could also drizzle it over fried chicken or breaded chicken cutlets for a version of lemon chicken ; )

BTW, don’t think of it as reboiling, think of it as reducing. And you could do that in a big pyrex in your microwave.

1 Like

One of the great recipes thrown away when Marcella Hazan’s The Classic Italian Cook Book and its sequel, More Classic Italian Cooking were mashed into the single-volume Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking:

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions! On second thought, I’d rather try it as a glaze on meat because I’m really really not a baker. I don’t know why I mentioned the cake-thing first, which is so not me as a cook or as an eater. But if I am ever feeling brave, I will definitely try the tart.

1 Like

That torta is as Hazan promises foolproof and easy for “home cooks who are not fancy bakers.”

I wonder, might be able to use it as part of a ‘orange chicken’ type glaze?!

2 Likes

You can use it to sweeten tea. So delicious with Irish Breakfast.

4 Likes

I use a marmalade when making a riff on sweet and sour tofu:

Warm the marmalade in a saucepan with grated or finely minced ginger and garlic, add in some crushed red pepper flakes (optional), plus vinegar (I’m not consistent on the type and go with what’s at hand), and a small cornstarch slurry to thicken.

Also works as a dip for egg rolls.

Fairly certain this is a recipe I picked up from my mother who likely would have found it in Sunset or a similar magazine.

ETA: Could also mix it with cream cheese or ricotta and make stuffed French toast. Or drizzle over ice cream, or with cottage cheese.

4 Likes

This might be crazy but how about adding more fresh fruit to make it less runny? I recently bought some Cara Cara oranges from Whole Foods and they were delicious. Bright, sweet and full of flavor.

2 Likes

i mean she could probably add a bit of pectin mixed in with sugar and cook it again. just don’t over do it

3 Likes

@ElsieDee -
That sweet and sour marmalade recipe idea is brilliant!!!

Now I have to try it - do you pan fry your tofu first and then set aside to add in the sauce later?

2 Likes

Yep! I freeze the tofu, first (the texture-improving thing), then once thawed slice, dust with cornstarch, and pan fry. If I make a lot (with the intention of leftovers), then I add the assorted veggies and pineapple to the sauce and ladle the sauce over individual portions of the tofu, so the leftovers retain some semblance of crunch.

I’ve thought about doing the tofu more as a tempura/battered thing, but never actually followed through on that idea.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. This sounds awesome!

I also like the idea of keeping the tofu separate, so it stays crunchy for leftovers… :yum:

1 Like