What would you like to see food wise that does not exist in L.A?

I’ve never heard of it. That being said, the thread is titled “LA” and you’re talking about OC. Speaking for myself, the OC is a world away as a dining destination and somewhere I rarely go. I’ll add it to my list though if ever feel like driving 55 miles for Cuban food.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aesthete, to say a place is more expensive and say it has less food per course is not an attack, it is an observation. An attack would be this, “Californios sucks.”

As I said, I can’t actually judge Californios until I’m up there, but I appreciate your passionate defense. I think 17 courses versus 4 is a matter of preference. Lots of three Michelin stars in France will only serve six or seven legit courses. Perhaps that’s because there is something pleasurable in being able to have more than three bites of a dish? But yes, hopefully Californios pushes Taco Maria to greater heights, regardless of the number of courses.

And does Tire Shop Taqueria even have checks? :smile: As of yesterday, they do not. And would it be criminal to suggest that perhaps the mulita is the star dish there?

If you’re driving 55 miles to get to Santa Ana, I doubt you’re in LA to begin with! :wink:

1. Now you have :wink:

2. Pretty sure the LA board encompasses OC.

3. It’s a lot closer than Miami and NYC isn’t it?

Pizza. I know, I know… it’s a dead horse. But hear me out:

Chicago has Chicago pizza, of which you can find at least a couple of worthy examples out here.
NYC has the NYC slice, of which you can find at least a couple of worthy examples out here.

But where is the utility L.A. pizza? Why is everyplace I go that isn’t hyper-focused on a specific non-LA type pizza (say, the several good-to-excellent fancy neopolitan places…) serving stuff that’s BARELY a cut above Dominos?

Sorry dude, there is no way LA lacks pizza.

Happy?

2 Likes

Ghengis Cohen on Fairfax does the old-school, thick, bubbly skinned egg-roll.

it’s what you’re looking for. The rest of the place is… fine. they do music if that’s your thing.

1 Like

point me to the good stuff, then? I’m looking. Truly and sincerely.

Casa Bianca is as close as I’ve managed.

Well, the topic is “what do you see food wise that does not exist?”

there are a ton of pizza options to choose from. I most certainly have no problem finding pizza in any neighborhood that I’m in. Same can’t be said for many of the other ethnic cuisines listed above.

Whether you find one that fits your fancy is an entirely different topic.

I’ll stop now before Porthos starts berating me :smiley:

no no, you’re right. there is pizza here. Just a very strange unfilled niche in that category I’m surprised exists.

I’ll toss in White Castle, though others already have. Sure, you can get them frozen at the supermarket, but that doesn’t help with the little bite sized fish sandwiches or the 3am-drive-through vibe, which is kinda essential.

There used to be White Castle a long time ago and it went away.

1 Like

Having made the pilgrimage to the east coast for White Castle (yes I was highly influenced by Harold and Kumar, puns intended), east coast can keep WC.

And to wrap up the pizza topic, within my 5 mile radius I can find neapolitan, chicago, nyc, and CA style pizza. I would hardly call that an unfilled niche category.

What are you looking for in pizza exactly?..

Berri’s Cafe, Vito’s, Casa Bianca, Garage, Joe’s, Joey Luparello’s (OC), Bertucci’s (OC)…

There is so much pizza in LA idk what you are lamenting about exactly? Seemingly a mythical “LA pizza”?.. Spago still serving that stuff, and CPK has pushed it into pedestrian hands everywhere…

The incredible Chicago style options, and the blossoming of neopolitan and other pies are also wonderful. Hell we even have Korean pizza…

About the only thing you can complain about is the lack of more regional stuff like maybe exquisite Roman pizza or something, idk.

With so many other things to lament, I never would have imagined someone lamenting about not being able to get some good pizza in LA…

Twin Sliders is better though.

You are so mean to post those photos. Want.

1 Like

Coddled egg

I know it is easy to make at home but it is so good and would like it done when dining out. Only place I know is eggslut but wish other places would do it. Easily my favorite egg preparation.

1 Like

Would love to see more chaat places around here, beyond the 2 that we have in Artesia.

And Samosa House/ISS are so terribad for chaat they shouldn’t be mentioned as a reply.

Southern SFV to Santa Ana 55 miles
Santa Monica to Santa Ana 50 miles

Let’s not delude ourselves into thinking that it’s LA or even “LA adjacent” for most folks in the city. It’s a long haul for ropa vieja!!

Distance in LA is measured by time not miles. It’s a 1 hour drive. Same as Santa Monica to Hollywood on the weekends or during rush hour.

It’s no longer CH so I won’t evoke the manifesto but part of being into food is being willing to travel no? :smile:

I drive from OC to LA for boat noodles, sushi, fine dining at least twice a month. Sometimes twice a week.

4 Likes