What would you like to see food wise that does not exist in L.A?

Wow, thank you for the tip!!!

And the hash brown potatoes like joes too. The key lime pie so so which means still tasty if U want to close the deal

1 Like

Good Cuban food. None of the LA spots can hold a candle to the type of Cuban food found in South Florida.

Great BBQ would be a close second. It’s getting better, but we still lack the revelatory smoked meats found in Texas, Kansas City or even Chicago.

3 Likes

Gr8pimpin, I’ll add more cheap/fast food cravings…

Honest-to-god Midwestern Kronos-style gyros sandwiches, done on a vertical spit. I know Mr. Gold frowns on them, but Papa Cristo’s (as sweet a guy as Chris is) just isn’t the same thing…they’re a little more greasy, something the spit takes care of nicely.

If anyone had the luck to go to the Parthenon in Ann Arbor before they closed, THAT. Exactly THAT. (Though Chicago’s got many similar gyros joints.)

Oh, and really fresh, locally-made cheese curds. Easy to find in the Midwest, but completely unavailable here.

2 Likes

Okay, truly, I would love to find a Reuben as good as Shapiro’s in Indianapolis. Brent’s (Northridge) came closest, but not quite the same.

:scream: Thank you!!

I guess I really didn’t look hard enough.

Olsons on pico had a big renovation about a year ago and has some good sandwiches pancakes and other specials. Toothpaste tubes of Swedish caviar, check.

The frozen microwavable White Castle burgers from Ralph’s are delectable.

1 Like

I’d be all for any Chicago style Greek food (and I live not far from Papa Cristos)! Last time I was in Chicago (a while ago…) I was taken out to dinner in Greektown by a good friend’s Greek boyfriend. I don’t know if he got special treatment for being from Greece, but the food was really amazing! Best octopus ever.

BTW—As far as Greek food in LA, I actually had a work lunch recently @ Ulysses Voyage @ the Farmers Market (3rd & Fairfax) and their food was much better than I expected (It’s not a greasy gyro place, but a Greek restaurant). The fried calamari was very good—nice coating and good frying technique. We also had the gyro, seafood pasta, flaming cheese, grilled octopus, Greek Salad and a couple other things that I can’t remember right now.

1 Like

Tamarind of London in Newport Beach?

Which one did you go to?

I too was skeptical but was told I had to go to Gymkhana. Even my friend’s mother who made us the best goat curry I’ve ever had said it was a must.

We’re talking wild boar vindaloo, quail kebabs, venison byriani cooked in a pastry crust. This insanely tasty Guinea fowl pepper fry which might be a variation of the above Chicken 65 reference. Like $80pp for Indian food which is wild but the flavors were complex and not just heat based.

1 Like

Nothing outstanding, but several restaurants serve it. Paradise Biryani Pointe in Artesia is one example. Akbar in Hermosa Beach offers it (I haven’t tried it).

1 Like

Tamarind has closed.

For your biryani fix, try Biryani & Kabob House in Little Bangladesh (itself inside K-town), just west of 3rd & Vermont.

1 Like

Real German food which reflects current food eaten in Germany (many Italian, Turkish, Greek and Croatian influences) due to the millions of immigrants which is little to do eith the lousy tourist food you find in the “German” restaurants in California - and if you serve such tourist food at least donit in a good way - so far only Brummis in Santa Barbara (now closed) had good dishes

biriyani kabob house is pretty good.

especially the hyderabadi style

singaporean and more malaysian

and indian creepy crawly insects. i’d like to try those.
http://luckypeach.com/how-to-cook-bugs/

serves 6!!! (if you can find 6)

I have yet to see some place serve Hokkien Popiah (freshly made spring roll ).

1 Like

May sound odd, but I would love a Momofuku anything in town. I bet Chang and Co. could have a field day with all the various Latino and Asian influences SoCal has on offer. Not to mention our produce. My meal this past January at Ko 2.0 was quite an impressive feast of multiculturalism and creativity. I bet something similar would fit in just nicely here.

1 Like

You might try the Belizean places on Western by Exposition like Ella’s Belizean, Joan & Sisters, & Tracey’s to find your Conch Fritters. Note some of them only serve them on weekends only.

1 Like

Thank you! Apparently, I need to get out more…

Modern creative French, Turkish, Greek, Persian, Italian, Spanish.
Great French Bakery.
High quality creative tasting menus for less than 100 pp.
Creative brunch spots that offer more than white French Toast, Eggs Benedict and boring Pancakes.
It is getting better, but still.
I agree we need great BBQ.
Great lunch spots that are open on the weekend and serve the same menu during the day as their dinner menu, like they do In Spain.

2 Likes