What's a good mexican restaurant with outdoor seating?

Yxta Cocina Mexicana

1 Like

Anaya. sidewalk seating.

1 Like

El Cholo in Santa Monica. It ain’t cheap, though.

Monte Alban’s outdoor seating is in part of the parking lot, but I think it actually looks really nice (they’re using their usual indoor furniture), and I would feel comfortable eating there (aside from the rock-hard seats where back and leg support are at a strict 90 deg angle).

1 Like

Authentic Mexican furniture design.

1 Like

Had my first meal at Salsa and Beer today. Loved it. It was everything I was hoping Casa Vega would be (instead CV was absolutely disgusting).

One question for veterans —they have like 3 different types of carnitas on the menu. How are they any different? Do folks have favorites?

1 Like

106 Seafood Underground #TheOGSergio

4 Likes

Paco’s Mexican Restaurant in Arcadia has some outdoor seating
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_75qoGj4Pd/

That’s where we went.

1 Like

Regarding open-air Mexican dining, has anyone been to Salazar recently? If so what did you think or any dishes you recommend?

I’ve never gone but have been curious for a while and the outdoor arrangement is very appealing right now

Paging @Gr8pimpin

1 Like

Yes? Oh wait…

The Zacatecas style has grilled onions and jalapeños and cheese.

The other “Guadalajara” is sauced and has cheese.

There’s enough cheese for me on the beans

I never gave the others a thought. Personally I always go with plain ole carnitas. I like the simplicity. Less is more, for me. Tortilla, carnitas and the spicy green. Theirs are crispy and I just can’t see the sauce or other things helping with the crisp.

Pro tip: last time I was there sides of carnitas or asada is only like $6.50 and they give you what seems like a 1/2 pound. Great for lo carb or have a meat extravaganza.

Which location did you go to?

1 Like

I went a few months ago and really liked my tacos. Cocktails have always been fun, vibes have always been wavy (in a good or bad way depending on your affinity for the post hipster / pre-yuppie / trustafari / industry-adjacent scene), I’ve found food to be hit or miss but last time was a hit. Good asada, good salsa, very good flour tortillas.

2 Likes

Thank you, Srsly very helpful!

1 Like

I went to the one on Sherman Way. I am in the immune compromised camp so I’m still unwilling to eat inside, but the inside looked really fun. The outdoor space along the side was actually quite nice anyway.

We got the mocaljete with carnitas, which were especially crispy on the hot stone. Liked the flour tortillas a lot. The corn were generic store bought ones.

Any recs on best drinks? I did a standard marg on the rocks, but I feel like a place like that has drinks they’re known for.

1 Like

Haven’t been in a while but I’ve always enjoyed my meals at Salazar. The aguachile and pork chop are my favorites. Chips and guac are also better than most. Excellent margaritas as well.

3 Likes

One of our first dining experiences after restaurants opened for dining in LA after Covid shutdown.

I would echo @Srsly it’s a pretty hip place with good drinks, solid food, and great atmosphere. If you go in with those expectations you don’t be disappointed.

If you’re looking for the best higher end Mexican cuisine in the city Salazar isn’t it.

We enjoyed the street corn, I think I recall having to send the skirt steak back because it was over cooked but it’s been awhile.

Some other posters have posted about it through the years:

https://www.foodtalkcentral.com/search?q=Salazar

4 Likes

This.

Salazar had an amazing tres leches cake with goat milk when they first opened, and I still think about that.

1 Like

S&B to me is just a margarita/beer place to go along with the copius amounts of free chips and delicious beans.

1 Like

Thanks so much, tailbacku! So helpful to know what’s good to get on their menu

Thank you, hungryhungryhippos! Good to know about the meat prep and great name BTW. I remember those old HHH board game commercials on TV

1 Like