What's At Your Local Farmers Market? A Look At Fresh Veggies, Fruits, Meats, Nuts and More [Thoughts + Pics]

Thanks for the update! I may travel this way on Sunday…to help support these growers and to get out the the house. I dream of Harry’s Berries.

2 Likes

I would grill up those spring onions!

Or cut them up and pour hot oil over them with some salt. Use it as a sauce for some protein

5 Likes

Thanks @JeetKuneBao. Sounds like a good idea. :slight_smile:

Great write up and pictures! Maybe next weekend I’ll grab some harry’s berries. i loooove strawaberries.

2 Likes

Thanks @attran99,

Have you tried Harry’s Berries before? Just checking. :slight_smile: If you haven’t, they are wonderful (most wonderful in the prime of the season in about a month FYI), but even now, better than the supermarket strawberries by far.

1 Like

For $10 a basket they better damn well be!

3 Likes

Hi @Ns1,

Agreed. :slight_smile: Although I think they’re “only” $9 right now. Last season, they were $8.50.

@Chowseeker1999 Those berries are like crack…I can’t stop eating them when I’ve got some.

1 Like

Use Red Spring Onions to make an onion omelet. Use the whole bunch. Cut the round stem part up to the green part in half. Slice cross wise in 1/16" half rounds. Reserve in a bowl. Slice the green part cross wise 1/8" or 1/4". Add oil to a nonstick pan. When oil is hot, simmering not smoking, add stem part and stir fry until wilted. Add green part and stir fry until evenly coated with oil. Have already beaten 3 or 4 eggs, depending what is your preference on ratio of onion to eggs. Hit the stir fryed onion with a squirt of chinese rice wine or cooking sherry and a squirt of soy sauce. Add the beaten egg from the middle of the pan and paid attention to leave the onion evenly distributed. You can move the onion around right after adding the egg to the pan. Immediately turn the heat to low. Wait for the eggs to set like a pancake. When the egg is set use the plastic spatula to cut the egg round into 4 quarters. Gently turn each quarter over. If the pan was turned low enough the now up side should be lightly brown but not burned. Let the turned side continue to cook in low heat for maybe 3 - 5 minutes, depending on if you like your omelet moist or drier like a pancake. Serve hot with Huy Fong Sirracha hot sauce on the side. The trick is high heat for the onion in 2 steps plus rice wine and soy sauce and low heat for the eggs. Enjoy!!!

11 Likes

Inspired by this awesome thread, we got a CSA box from County Line Harvest yesterday that we picked up today. It was $25 for a huge box of produce, tons of lettuces, rainbow chard, Swiss chard, beets, turnips, carrots, radishes, those gorgeous purple leeks as posted above, and a couple other things. Very excited about all of the cooking that this unlocks for us!

There’s one thing, though, that we’re having a hard time identifying. Apologies if this is super obvious, but we’re pretty new to this stuff in our house…

Any thoughts? There were a few loose bunches of these tossed in, some with longer leaves and some with larger flowers. It looks a little like broccolini, but they’re quite short, and they smell a little funky (not bad, but sort of horse/barnyard-y) maybe also like broccoli or kale? Thank you!!!

1 Like

looks like spigariello

2 Likes

So it does! Amazing, thank you!

Stems really arent great on these. Try and really trim well. Mostly florets and leaves are good

2 Likes

Thanks @mshopper2 for the great idea on using the red spring onions. :slight_smile: Can’t wait to try this.

Hi @Srsly,

Nice, looking forward to what you’ll be making with your produce for the week! Looks like you got your answer for the spigariello raab. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@mshopper2 I will second this preparation!

This is very much a homestyle Chines dish!

It’s funny how scrambled eggs is very Chinese.

1 Like

Went to Santa Monica today. Honestly it was a litttttle more packed than I was comfortable with despite the physical distancing going on (and there were the usual oblivious people who weren’t watching where they were going). The produce itself looks like it’s in full spring splendor. So far I’ve just made an omelette (eggs + goat cheese from the market) and tried a mandarin and they’ve all been really good.

2 Likes

Update 2:

Folks were good about social distancing at the Hollywood Farmers Market today (as last week):

The Garden Of

Last week, The Garden Of… tried out Produce Boxes ($35) and it was a bounty of beautiful produce, but speaking with the farm staff, they said that customers felt it was too much produce, so this week they’ve bagged all their produce in $5 bags. Everything in the stand was a simple $5, and it was even cheaper than usual for things like:

Organic Heirloom Lettuces:

They were giving away 4 heads of their gorgeous Organic Heirloom Lettuces for $5! :open_mouth: (Normally it’s already a bargain at 3 heads for $5. :slight_smile:

Organic Chidori Kale:

Last week’s Organic Chidori Kale was outstanding! Beautiful depth of flavor, softer, there’s an almost “creamy” aspect when you saute these beautiful purple Chidori Kale leaves with some Olive Oil, Garlic, Salt. :blush:

The Garden Of… (Organic Farm)
(@ Hollywood Farmers Market (Sunday)) (North of the Arclight Cinemas)
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Day: Sunday
Hours: 8:00AM - 1:00PM

(Also @ Santa Monica Farmers Market (Wednesday))
155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Day: Wednesday

2 Peas in a Pod

We forgot to write about 2 Peas in a Pod Farm from last week. They are a mainstay of the Hollywood Farmers Market, and had plenty of Beans in stock this week as well (@TheCookie @hanhgry and others):

Two Peas in a Pod
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Peads & Barnetts

Fans of Hatchet Hall’s Pork Chop should consider stopping by Peads & Barnetts, the farm that was supplying Hatchet Hall with the porcine goodness. :slight_smile:

Peads & Barnetts features humanely raised, traditional English Berkshire Pork (@TheCookie), and we’ve enjoyed their Berkshire Pork Chops in the past. They had plenty of cuts this morning as well.

Peads & Barnetts
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

(Also @ Santa Monica Farmers Market (Wednesday))
155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Day: Wednesday

They also deliver:
http://www.peadsandbarnetts.com/

Autonomy Farms

Organic Pork Shoulder:

As usual, Autonomy Farms has a nice selection of Beef, Pork, Chicken and Lamb cuts. This week, we picked up a nice 3.5 pound Pork Shoulder for a stew we’ll be making this week. :blush:

Autonomy Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Thao Family Farms

The Baby Bok Choy last week turned out fantastic! :slight_smile:

This week, we picked some nice looking Daikon Radishes for a stew…

Daikon Radish:

Collard Greens:

Sprouting Kale:

We haven’t tried Sprouting Kale before, looked wonderful. If anyone has a recipe for Sprouting Kale please let us know. Thanks.

Thao Family Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Arnett Farms

Besides the wonderful fresh Fruit, Arnett’s nice selection of Pistachios & Almonds, and their Pistachio Butter and Almond Butter, as well as a variety of Jams and Dried Fruit:

Dried Persimmons - Whole:

We picked up the recommended Dried Persimmons (thanks @Dommy!). Can’t wait to try it for breakfast this week. :slight_smile:

It’s still very much citrus season:

Satsuma Mandarins:

Thanks to the recommendation from the Arnett farmers, I picked up some Satsuma Mandarins for this week. The last 3 weeks of citrus from Arnett Farms has been spectacular - sunshine bright, sweet, floral.

Arnett Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Divine Harvest Family Farms

Social distancing in full effect (nicely controlled at all the booths we visited today):

Eggs:

While some of our friends like Lily’s Eggs, we’ve grown to really like Divine Harvest Family Farms’ Eggs more. They are less well-known, but their Eggs have a wonderful taste, good, rich yolk. And they sell them in smaller packages of 6 Eggs ($5) if you prefer.

Divine Harvest Family Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the update and the word about social distancing. We didn’t make it to the farmers market this week because we are well stocked and I had a ton of gardening to do in light of work wants me to do a ‘home tour’ video. oh my.

As I was in my 3rd hour of weeding… I decided that next week I’m going to the market because I want those persimmons myself. Life is too short not to have your favorite things and I love them, quartered with little cubes of cheese and walnuts as a snack. :slight_smile:

–Dommy!

4 Likes

If you have some extra Daikon, us Taiwanese like to make a soup with it…daikon, pork bones (neck if you can get some, but any pork bone will do), and some salt. A little ginger and garlic can be added as well.

Serve it up as a appetizer. Than stir fry some Chinese greens. The classic tomtato egg would be great too. Serve with a small bowl of rice.

and you got yourself a very simple authentic homestyle meal

7 Likes