What's At Your Local Farmers Market? A Look At Fresh Veggies, Fruits, Meats, Nuts and More [Thoughts + Pics]

Same here. They get a little wrinkled looking after 4-5 days but taste just fine

How did you get 4 dollars off the berries?

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Glad this latest batch was much better. Yah for Mara de Bois variety, we’ve only bought them maybe ~3 - 5 times over the years? Gaviotas are still our favorite. :slight_smile:

For Hollywood Farmers Market stand, we’ve never met Founder-Farmer Harry Iwamoto (I would’ve loved to have said “Hi” and thank him and his family for their hard work and amazing Strawberries!), nor his daughter and son-in-law (Molly and Rick Gean) who now run the farm.

But the main stand “manager” has been there for years and speaks about the crops pretty knowingly. I’ll have to ask her next time if she’s actually working on the farm itself. But yah at Hollywood, the team is nice and they happily obliged when we asked them to show us / pick out a good batch (lifting it up for us to inspect), etc.

Pre-pandemic, we would chat with them about how the crop was this week, the standout Cherry Tomato varieties for that week (and they would warn us if there were some that weren’t as standout (Juliets vs. Cherry vs. Grape Tomatoes, etc.).

1 Like

Hah! It was because they sold me some bad strawberries previously and I complained. Even then it was just a discount and not a comp. Definitely not because they give discounts… Ever. A group of people next to me asked for discounts for buying a large quantity. They got a firm No. When one asked “Wouldn’t it be better to sell for less than throw them away?“ The answer was “We don’t throw them away. We make sorbet.” My opinion is, ok understandable, but then they need to be making more sorbet, because they’re selling some soft-ass strawberries.

1 Like

This is good enough. They don’t need to work on the farm, just know the product and give a sh_t. :confused:

I :hearts: their little tomatoes!

1 Like

Glad at least you got some relief on your next batch. Sounds like they gotta start pushing more product. Bummed that I am missing this season’s ripest harry’s berries eat some more for me when you get a chance!

1 Like

Hang in there, babe!

1 Like

It’s not too bad for me just taking a sabbatical from LA for awhile. Stay safe!

2 Likes

Has anyone ever seen or know of a good producer of dragon fruit at farmer’s markets?

I typically get some delicious dragon fruit through a family friend who has a tree at their home. However, with the pandemic and all, it seems unlikely that this connection will be pulling through. Light googling of dragon fruit shows that bland dragon fruit in the US might be a thing? This makes me cautious to just randomly go buy some and I’m wondering if anyone knows where some tasty versions of this fruit can be purchased. Thanks in advance!

I’ve never found dragonfruit particularly tasty no matter what continent I’m on, but the Cal Poly Pomona farm store often has it.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, that’s what I’d read online but my experience has been much the opposite. First came on to it during a trip to Vietnam where it was all over the place and amazingly delicious. Home grown has worked really well for me too but since it’s not my home that makes it difficult with the pandemic and social distancing. I hope to keep my experiences with dragonfruit positive which is why I’m here. :slight_smile:

Hollywood Farmers Market

This week's latest bounty from the Hollywood Farmers Market.

Note: The Garden Of (Organic Farms) will not be attending any farmers markets this coming week (crop rotation). They will be back in 2 weekends.

Weiser Family Farms

It’s Melon Season for Weiser Family Farms. :slight_smile: They had plenty of Sugar Queen (amazing last week!), Sugar Cube Melons and this week we picked up some Arava Melons:

It looks like a Honeydew, but it’s more perfumey and fragrant. The sweetness was mildy sweet and refreshing chilled. But we liked the Sugar Queen Melon last week a bit more.

Weiser Family Farms
(@ Hollywood Farmers Market (Sunday)) (North of the Arclight Cinemas)
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Day: Sunday
Hours: 8:00AM - 1:00PM

(Also @ Santa Monica Farmers Market (Wednesday & Saturdays))
155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Day: Wednesday

Arnett Farms

It’s still Stone Fruit season with Arnett Farms.

Black Diamond Pluots (Apricot, Plum, Pomegranate Combo):

After letting them ripen on the kitchen counter for a couple of days… so sweet and an incredible balance of flavors, a tiny touch of tart to balance out the lovely sweetness! :heart: Some of the best stone fruit of the season right now!

Be sure to ask the farm hands for recommendations on what’s the sweetest each weekend.

Arnett Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Tenerelli Orchards

Tenerelli Orchards is delivering incredible Peaches right now! Some of the best we’ve tried all season. :slight_smile:

White Lady White Peaches:

If you thought the Snow Brite Peaches were sweet, give Tenerelli Orchards’ latest crop of White Peaches a try! Let them ripen a few days and enjoy the wave of gorgeous sweetness and incredible Peach fragrance in every bite! :heart:

Outstanding!

Mulberries:

And for those of us not lucky enough to be @J_L with your own personal Mulberry Orchard, look to Tenerelli Orchards, as they just started their Mulberry offerings!

• Note: They are not on display (they are in a cooler, as are other Farmers Market stands here at Hollywood. So ask for them.

Tenerelli’s Mulberries have been the sweetest and most fragrant each year when we try them with the other offerings. For this first batch of the season?

It’s about ~75% sweetness. So about 75% of the Mulberries had some amazing sweetness and complex layered notes, but 25% of the batch were a bit tart-barely sweet. When they are in their prime of the season, it’s a 100% batch of pure lovely candy. :slight_smile:

Tenerelli Orchards
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

(Also @ Santa Monica Farmers Market (Wednesday & Saturday))
155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Day: Wednesday & Saturday

12 Likes

I picked up a container of mulberries from Weiser last Saturday that were really sweet. First time having mulberries so not sure how they compare. The purple juice was all over the container and they made it a note to bag it so it wouldn’t stain anything else.

2 Likes

Hi @chaumein,

Thanks for the report back. :slight_smile: Yah, Weiser Family Farms’ Mulberries were our 2nd favorite after Tenerelli Orchards for the last 2 years. But every season is different, so we’ll give them another try to compare again. :wink:

1 Like

Good to know you’ve had both. I will have to try Tenerelli when they’re at peak ripeness.

1 Like

Thao Farm’s heirloom black zebra tomatoes :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

HFM was no joke today at 11AM. The line started at the corner of Ivar and Sunset. It took about 45 minutes to just get in…this is the longest it’s taken me to get in since I’ve been actively going, again. If there are any tips on when the ideal time to go is, I’d much appreciate it! I thought later would be better than earlier.
The goal today was no different than my previous trips. Pudiwell, Weiser, Harry’s, Arnett’s, and Tenerelli.
By the time I got in, I made a beeline for Harry’s only to find out that gaviotas were gone already. They had maras, but I passed based on my last experience and also @TheCookie‘s.
I picked up one each of the Weiser melons. That Sugar Queen is no joke delish! The Canary is like a refined honeydew…a restrained with a nice texture.
Had to go to Pudiwell since our last bunch of berries were like candy. The raspberries and blueberries were extraordinarily sweet…like candy. The chowpups ate it up so fast that I doubled my order this time to make sure I had enough.
I subbed Tamai strawberries for Harry’s (#NotTheSame). They were good, but really not the same. I also noticed that Tamai has their own version of gaviotas…I passed on them since they didn’t look pristine.
God love the guys at Arnett’s! I walk in and just ask what they’re loving this week, and ask them to pick a few of all the ones they suggest. Black diamonds are the only ones I remember since there were folks behind me and I didn’t want to take up more time.
Tenerelli’s white peaches were the hit today. They were almost sold out of them when I came by. I got a selection of July Flames, the nectarines, and the white peaches.
Since there was no way I could lug back more things to the car (I didn’t bring enough bags), it was time to head back to the car.

6 Likes

Yeah, they’re really great.

1 Like

Nice @attran99!

Yeah, I know I’m missing out on some things by sticking to the smaller markets, but I can’t stomach those lines and having to be there at the crack of dawn to get the good stuff. Ugh.

That’s a really good strategy letting the guys pick their favorites at Arnett. I get overwhelmed with choices there and haven’t had as much success as other peeps have - tasteless, chewy, dried figs, really juicy but flavorless peaches. I once filled a whole shot glass with juice from one peach, but it didn’t have a lot of flavor. Hmmm. I’m going with your strategy next time.

Tip on Tenerelli - Farmer Tenerelli said the Red Flame Nectarines are his favorites. I tried them. :revolving_hearts: Delicious!

Happy Summer Fruit Season!

3 Likes

Hi @attran99,

Yah it was definitely the busiest it’s been in a long time. We got there a bit before 11 a.m. and also had the long line. Usually we’ve found good luck with right before opening time, or a bit after (8:30 - 9:30) window.

Love the Weiser Farms Sugar Queen as well! :slight_smile: And Tenerelli Orchards’ White Peaches continue to shine. Incredible!

1 Like