What's bakin'?

@MaladyNelson. It would be great if someone started a baking thread. Cake stands would fit right in. Since I’m not a good baker it wouldn’t be me. A home cooking thread will have to do for now. These are pictures I fancied and saved a while back.

1 Like

Well, since you asked … as soon as Thanksgiving is over I start baking and freezing cookies for Christmas. So far we have:

Chocolate peanut butter balls, by special request from my goddaughter. Just don’t call them buckeyes because #goblue

d

3 Likes

Pistachio shortbread

And holiday M&Ms

3 Likes

Wow. FTC has a baking thread! When I first started posting there were about 2 lonely posters on the Home Cooking threads. This awesome. I might have to dust off the Kitchenaid.

2 Likes

Do you have a recipe for the pistachio shortbread please?

Kuchen

I don’t know if I posted this, but I made kuchen. It’s a yeast dough and this recipe made a quarter sheet size crust. I used different fruit on 1/3 sections: blueberries, apples, and plums.

Hint: Skip the streusel topping next time, it’s unnecessary. We never used it when I was a child; the kuchen should be like a fruit-forward, like fruit pizza.

2 Likes

I used this one from David Leite.

http://leitesculinaria.com/85390/recipes-pistachio-shortbread-cookies.html

It was my first time with this particular recipe, and I don’t know if I over-processed the dough but I found it way too crumbly to roll into a log and then slice. So instead I rolled it into balls and then smushed them down. Not perfect looking, but they taste really good.

2 Likes

I don’t have pics handy but I just balled up and froze a couple of dozen dough balls of the NYT chocolate chip cookie recipe. It’s not actually too far off the classic toll house but calls for (sensibly) more and darker chocolate and a sprinkling of sea salt on the top which some will call optional but I assure you is not.

I really should write up and take pictures of my almond cookies one of these days.

2 Likes

[quote=“Bookwich, post:6, topic:4686”]
Skip the streusel topping
[/quote]These look great! I love streusel topping. You’re such a minimalist.

[quote=“lectroid, post:8, topic:4686”]
classic toll house but calls for (sensibly) more and darker chocolate and a sprinkling of sea salt
[/quote]:yum:!

[quote=“lectroid, post:8, topic:4686”]
I really should write up and take pictures of my almond cookies one of these days
[/quote]Yes, you should :slight_smile:.

As I continue decluttering for the holidays: cookies made with the last cup of chocolate chips, last cup of oatmeal, and last cup of dried cranberries. The cranberries were seriously dried out, it took half an hour of soaking in hot water to get them to an edible state, but I persevered.

And to declutter the freezer, half a bag of tater tots. (It’s okay, they’re vegan.)

Not when I dunk them - the tater tots - in country gravy!!!

2 Likes

Delish cookie ingredients. It’s cupboard clean-out season. I’m doing it too.

Another surprising revelation… Bookwich has tater tots in the freezer!

Did I mention they’re vegan? :wink:

Of course they are.