What's cookin'?

Butter chicken with rice. Zataar roasted cauliflower. Carrots with yogurt sauce, crispy shallots, roasted peanuts and mint. The carrots were really excellent.

3 Likes

This might be its own thread - EGGS! - but here’s something else that looks really good.

https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/scrambled-egg-tacos-potato-poblano-avocado?source=W5814ENL&tp=i-H55-BC-9pn-iIl1S-1o-VNpd-1c-hh6-diWB3-1x6sTm&sourcekey=W5814ENL&utm_campaign=fine-cooking-daily&utm_source=eletter&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=fc-daily&cid=37807&mid=654629446

3 Likes

The looks yummy!

An egg, potato and cheese frittata is one of my fav snacky dinners for the Hollywood Bowl. Add a fresh baked loaf of bread, some fresh fruit and wine and you are good to go!

As they used to say “The incredible edible egg.”

3 Likes

I’ve made this a gazillion times over a million years with all sorts of meat/vegetables and sometimes in square pans to cut more easily. I’ve frozen and reheated. You name it :slight_smile:

1 Like

2 Likes

Not cooking but assembling :slight_smile: I was at Molinari’s Deli in SF quite a few years ago and bought a tin of Ortiz tuna. One of the guys working there suggested mixing it with some capers, finely chopped red onion and cilantro (or parsley if you prefer). S&P and I add just a tiny bit of Champagne vinegar. A great little app.

2 Likes

Shrimp salad with bacon, corn, olives, tomatoes, point Reyes blue cheese and other stuff. Made 3 salads for about $10. Bristol Farms YL was giving away free 1/2 pound of shrimp. Went to WF salad bar to get all the fixins.

5 Likes

We sometimes buy fixin’s from WF salad bar but no greens or dressing. Get multiple salads for not much money. Far more selection than the two of us would ever keep on hand.

Croutons from a bag and dressing home made. I would never do this but I’ve heard some people put dressing in the to go containers at WF and pocket them so the dressing doesn’t get weighed.

1 Like

We don’t usually have croutons but when we do we brush both sides of sliced sourdough and toast on the panini grill. Cut in maybe 3/4" sticks and then into croutons. Super good.

That is a gorgeous plate of salad!

Sounds like plain old theft to me. When I used to work in downtown SF, I would visit a to-go salad bar where they charged by the ounce, and load up with everything except the dressing (the heaviest part by far), and add my own bottled dressing when I got back to the office. Inexpensive lunch.

1 Like

You are not wrong. I pretty much only use home made dressing.

1 Like

Nice @js76wisco. I’ve been loving those rainbow carrots. Was that a made up, wing it, sorta’ recipe or can you share?

I love hacks. :grin: Here’s another idea for your picnic @LeslieR!

I made sandwiches with grilled mugifuji pork, Jacobsen sea salt, Gjusta pickled onions, and Gjusta baguette

8 Likes

That baguette looks wonderful. Did you cook the pork?

That was just a made up recipe borrowed from dishes we’ve ordered at restaurants. We cook the carrots in air fryer with salt, cumin, paprika and harissa. The yogurt sauce was like a mix between tzazitki and raita - garlic, cucumbers, cumin and mint. Garnished with chopped toasted almonds, mint and fried shallots. I like the almonds better than pistachio but most recipes I’ve seen use pistachios…

3 Likes

Very nice, creative. I’m so behind when it comes to newish appliances. But I was looking up the air fryer and my countertop convection oven seems to have the right features. :slight_smile:

Speaking of convection, my MW is also a convection oven and it’s really large. I rarely need a second oven but when I do this is perfect.

1 Like