What's cookin'?

Would love the post of the recipe. Thanks .

1 Like

Okay. I will do a separate post tomorrow.

2 Likes

Spiced chickpea stew with coconut and turmeric. From the NYT recipe from the great Alison Roman. Amazing dish.

4 Likes

What happened to your steak?

Besides it getting eaten?

I made Carla Hall’s cornbread as seen on TV. Maybe the best cornbread I’ve had, certainly the best made with 100% cornmeal. Probably helped that I used Geechie Boy. I used the recipe from Food & Wine, since that’s directly connected with Top Chef, except I used a full teaspoon of salt since 3/4 seemed a bit skimpy. I used corn oil.

The gross canned creamed corn seemed out of place with the otherwise great ingredients, so I did a little more searching, and found that Hall has a recipe that uses homemade creamed corn made from corn and cream:

Also:

I think that’s what made Granny’s cornbread really special, that coffee can that would be on her stove that would hold all the fat, the bacon fat, the ham fat.

1 Like

@ebethsdad, recipe would be great!!! Thanks!

2 Likes

Bread turned out much better than last time.

2 Likes

Riverdog pork shoulder and chickpeas

The NY Times bok choy with oyster sauce recipe works better to serve the sauce on the side and dip.

Also had the leftover butternut squash gratin. Better second time around. Next time I’ll cook it longer.

1 Like

Broke my 100 day alcohol fast in style.

Australian wagyu picanha

11 Likes

Latkes and salsa

6 Likes

Overproofed as fuck. Note to self, don’t start making bread three hours before a two-hour window for picking up groceries.

While I still owe @Emglow101 and @RedDevil French bread posts (sorry I will get to it I promise) I was cleaning out the freezer and came upon some Detroit pizza dough. Way too much pizza for my lovely wife and myself, but we have incredible neighbors with whom we have been sharing soups, breads and desserts - all passed with social distancing guidelines. So I used my Lloyd’s pan and cooked it up. So very, very good!

7 Likes

I’ve got to make one soon. I have four pounds of aged Wisconsin brick.

2 Likes

I know you are a great cook, but I strongly suggest the recipe in my friend Peter Reinhart’s book, “Perfect Pan Pizza”. His technique innovates with pushing half the cheese into the crust before the final rise. Brilliant. Witness the three spots of frico and the perfectly toasted crust in my second pic.
I admit I am envious of your Wisconsin brick stash. I made this with half Jack/half dry mozzarella with a tiny bit of brick I had stashed.
Please post pics when you do it!

1 Like

fennel greens and green garlic tops from our CSA box

Meyer lemons from the yard

Marinade also included 3/4 tsp. salt per pound of meat, rosemary from the yard, and olive oil. Pounded it a bit to blend and release the aromatics. Let the big end of a leg of lamb from Cream Co. marinate overnight in the fridge and then all day on the counter.

Roasted at 350° until it hit 135°.

Served with steamed asparagus and leftover mashed potatoes from the other night jacked up with some sour cream and a lot of fresh ground black pepper.

I realized when it was too late that I couldn’t roast the lamb at 350° at the same time as I was baking bread at 465°, so to get dinner on the table at a reasonable hour I had to bake the bread in the toaster oven. Turned out fine except the very top was carbonized. I should have used the other toaster oven, which in bake mode uses only the lower element.

3 Likes

2 Likes

:exploding_head:

Stunning.

1 Like

Same recipe as last time except we’re out of whole wheat until Friday so I used 1/3 buckwheat.

2 Likes

This is what my daughter is eating for breakfast. Sullongtang and a glass of milk. I kind of threw up in my mouth thinking about the combination.

2 Likes