What's cookin'?

deleted

No! Really?!

Yikes.

Getting by OK with the dinky drug-dealer scale. New kitchen scale should be here by Saturday.

As good a burger as I’ve ever had and much better than any I’ve made previously. Coarsely ground beef, mesquite grilled, buns from the King Arthur recipe toasted on the grill, aioli made from Trader Joe’s organic mayo. Let a bunch of asparagus sit in olive oil and salt for a few hours and cooked it while the beef was resting, sort of half-steaming it by piling it up on the grill.

7 Likes

Fixed this a few days ago. Quite unusual but we liked it a lot. I think next time I’ll use the side of my box grater with the second to the smallest holes. The colander was tedious.

I couldn’t find Marcona almonds or chervil but I don’t think it lacked a thing.

1 Like

I wanted to make cole slaw but had only a quarter of a small cabbage so I also used carrot and Tokyo turnips. Used a little less red onion that I would have rather than cut open a new one. Tossed with a teaspoon of kosher salt and let sit for a few hours, then dressed with two tablespoons of mayonnaise, a tablespoon of sour cream, and a tablespoon of Apple Farm “balsamic.”

I’ll make this again but maybe not let the salted vegetables sit for so long so they’re a little crunchier. Probably a good way to use the odd kohlrabi we get in our CSA box.

We getting really tired of lunch at home every day. A few times recently I’ve made a shrimp salad that we have with crackers. Today it was “Ruffles Have Ridges.” I mince teeny pieces of everything but the shrimp. Shallot, red bell pepper, a minute amount of jalapeno, capers, Dijon, mayo, pepper (I didn’t use salt cause I didn’t rinse the capers.) Such a nice change.

1 Like

This was surprisingly delicious. If I hadn’t known there was miso in it I don’t think I’d have guessed.

Might have helped that we had some pretty good miso from a Japanese grocer, Maruman organic red.

The yuzu and green nori furikake were equally good.

http://www.muso-intl.com/organic_sprinkling_furikake/organic_sprinkling_furikake.html

2 Likes

I feel that way about fish sauce. It’s livened up a number of totally non-Asian dishes for me.

1 Like

We’re deep enough in asparagus season that I made the green variation of this. I steamed the asparagus, substituted milk for the broth (i.e.made Bechamel), and omitted the lemon juice. Would be good even without the ham.

4 Likes

Using TJs pizza dough and our OONI pizza oven which we can get to over 700 degrees. We need to stop pushing in too far in. The toppings are everything in the fridge :slight_smile:

6 Likes

still looks pretty great

1 Like

Thanks. It really was. I did something different this time. I put basil leaves over the very light tomato sauce and everything else on top. Kept them intact. If I haven’t mentioned this before, I use my mandoline and then put them all between layers of paper towels to reduce ‘wetness.’

The ooni is the knock off version of the uuni? I was looking at this online. How do you like it and do you cook anything else in here besides pizza?

Ooni is less than half the price of uuni. 700 degrees seems pretty legit.

Actually ours is UUNI. I thought they’d just changed their name ) We’ve had it for a couple of years but didn’t use it for the longest time - life was busy. We switched it to propane cause we couldn’t get it high enough on the chips. What other things could we do in it please?

You have the nicer version. Can you roast chicken, steaks or fish? Blister veggies for salsas. I’m not sure hence my hesitation spending that much on a pizza oven.

As Uuni has expanded into different countries, it’s become apparent that the word ’ Uuni ’ is being pronounced differently around the world. As we are a truly global brand, we have decided to change the spelling of our name from ’ Uuni ’ to ’ Ooni ', which is the phonetic spelling.Jul 17, 2018

[

Uuni Becomes Ooni - FAQ– Ooni USA

](Uuni Becomes Ooni - FAQ — Ooni USA)

Now we gotta look into doing other things :slight_smile: But we probably make pizza every week or two if that matters.

This isn’t really cooking but is stay-at-home-leftovers. I made a soup that has leftover okra, tomatoes, pork shoulder, rice, Italian seasoned pork left from pizza toppings; also some chopped arugula and basil. And some chicken stock.

1 Like

Can I ask how you originally prepared the okra? Or do you mean it was leftover raw okra from another application?

I realized recently I like okra and I’m trying to catch up on its precautions and permutations.

Well, I’m originally from Atlanta so it’s been a love of mine in all its permutations forever :slight_smile:
The last two summers I’ve bought it at our farmers markets. I cut it in maybe 3/4" pieces, freeze on a baking sheet and then into a zipping bag. That was my last portion. I thaw it and then saute’ in butter and a little oo with halved grape tomatoes, s&p. This time I add bit of tomato sauce that I had on hand. Once I got it going I splashed in a little white wine, covered and simmered for about 20 minutes. When time for dinner I just reheated. This was a side dish with pork shoulder and some kind of starch that I don’t particularly remember :slight_smile:

ETA: Hmm, I wonder if that batch had some onion in there also. Can’t hurt.
Another ETC :slight_smile: It’s also even better with some white corn cut off the cob. I add that very close to the end of reheating.

1 Like