What's cookin'?

Mimus the finishing olive oil and za’atar. And the chicken is completely unseasoned.

2 Likes

What’s the black powder?

Alrighty…the earth moved here in SoCal this evening just as I was finishing up dinner. Thank god I had my trusty G&T :open_mouth:

Vaquero Beans (cousin to an anasazi) and Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce and Asparagus.

You’ve heard of Irish whiskey, did you know the Irish also make gin. Dinkle Gin from, where else? Dingle.

Chicken w/Poblano Cream Sauce

Dingle Gin makes a really good G & T

6 Likes

Not to dinner yet but here’s one part. Froze the okra last summer and will add white corn that I froze then also.

4 Likes

No more earthquakes for me . I’m taking my chances on this volcano.

2 Likes

@robert

The powder I mentioned refers to chili peppers, dried, and ground into powder. In the video, uses the Japanese term ‘togarashi’. Along with red dried ones, he also uses a dark colored chili paste.

The ‘black’ elements are black beans, and tian mian jang (which is more like a dark brown sweet bean paste).

Szechuan ‘mala’ peppers are also grinded down into a more powdery condiment. This might be what you’re talking about? It’s great as a condiment to sprinkle on after.
Or you can do what they did, and create an infused oil, a tremendous amount of work. Like this guy did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sahNrS6GdRU

1 Like

Lemon and garlic chicken , salad , leftover bread with pan sauce as my starch . Cheers

8 Likes

Wow great video with his son! Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Cream Co. NY strip & mashed potatoes with onion and garlic

I’d use that mashed potato recipe again. It’s basically this minus the milk plus extra butter:

Peel 1-1/2 lbs. potatoes and cut in one-inch chunks. Put in a pot with six peeled cloves of garlic, 1/2 cup finely sliced onion, and 1 tablespoon salt, add water just to cover, bring to a boil, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. When ready to serve, drain and mash with butter to taste. Add black pepper to taste.

1 Like

Stew . The star being parsnip. Credit Phreddy from another site . With a twist of course. Local pizza dough made into bread. Cheers .

7 Likes

Went vegetarian tonight…

Sweet Potato & Coconut Stew w/Vaquero Beans.
Served over brown rice and baby spinach.

This is a recipe from chef Michael Symon and originally called for black-eyed peas, which I didn’t have, so subbed in the vaqueros. Very satisfying dish.

7 Likes

No photos----but I made a pretty amazing patty melt tonight.

Normally I would have just gone out for a burger because it’s actually cheaper (and faster) to do that than to make a quality burger for 1.

But since that’s not a current option----I had the time to caramelize some onions and also had the other ingredients on hand.

Most or the work/time is really in the onions and caramelizing them down. I seared the burger in the same pan after I removed the onions, then placed both on some good sourdough with cheddar cheese and grilled away. Really good.

7 Likes

Last night:

• braised pork shoulder in its own juices (minus the lard)
  • French lentils cooked in green garlic and leek top broth and chicken stock with leeks, onion, tomato, and ras el hanout
  • mustard greens and kale braised with onion and Espelette salt with a little leftover garlic sauce and Greek yogurt with za’atar left over from the other night

I mindlessly drained the pot liquor from these beans damn it so marinated them in vinaigrette with some chopped onions, then added tuna to some for lunch. Good but the soup I was planning to make would have been better.

2 Likes

Stuck at home with plenty of time so I made baguettes…

18 Likes

Gorgeous

1 Like

Wow! Those look perfect. I hope they tasted as good as they look

2 Likes

They are pretty great. Distributed several among my neighbors as the quality goes way down after the first day. I can post recipe and technique if people are interested.

4 Likes

Would love the post of the recipe. Thanks .

1 Like