What's cookin'?

The buckwheat bread is OK, but the whole-wheat version was much better. I think buckwheat flour is best left for pancakes / galettes / blini.

Homemade char siu (minus red dye)

7 Likes

Awww Phreddy. I bookmarked his beef stew too. It looks great. I can’t believe you made that bread from pizza dough! It looks so Republique.

except made with cornmeal so it was grits

http://lauriston.com/recipes.html#greens

Local Butcher Shop fennel sausage and onions

1 Like

It’s super simple . Buy it . Shape it into a ball . Put some flour on it . Let it rise for three hours or so covered with saran wrap. Razor cut . In the oven at 450 for around 40 minutes. I’m at 3600 feet . With a little over a cup of hot water poured into a sheet pan to create steam . Baked on parchment on a pizza stone

4 Likes

Great! I like reading everyone’s talk about proofing and yeast and where can I buy flour… but aside from trying my hand at a simple peasant bread I’ll probably never become a real baker. But I could probably do the pizza dough. :slightly_smiling_face:

Is that what the circles are? Because those make it look so professional!

1 Like

Yes . Around a eight inch deep

1 Like

I’ve used this oven baked one for - yikes! - 13 years.

1 Like

That’s no secret. It’s the same as the recipe Paula Wolfert published in 1998, which she got off the back of a of Golden Pheasant polenta.

Oh, I know. He later admitted that. Unfortunately when I would try to look at that recipe other things kept ‘jumping’ on top of it. I love making it cause people think I’ve worked sooooooo hard :slight_smile:

Big fan of that book. As well as Clifford Wright A Mediterranean Feast.

orecchiette with broccoli, anchovies, green garlic, black olive paste, and hot pepper

Gujarati cabbage and carrots - Robert Lauriston's Web site

same bread I’ve been making with a new batch of whole-wheat and 66% hydration

1 Like

Had some pepperoni left over from making pizza so cut it into thin strips and added it to tomato sauce.

1 Like

merguez, chickpeas, barley, onion, celery, bell pepper, fennel bulb, green garlic top broth, cilantro, lemon

2 Likes

We have so much flour in our house. Made our own steamed bao. Filled with chicken, scallions and chili crisp.

12 Likes

The day I get 25 lbs. of flour, my scale dies.

2 Likes

Freshest morels I’ve ever had, simply sautéed in lightly salted butter.

I realized I had a backup scale, a little 0.1-gram-accurate model that goes up to 1 kg, so I made the bread dough I’ve been experimenting with, and then decided to make pan pizza with it. We had some of that low-moisture supermarket mozzarella from an Instacart substitution so I used that, which ended up as a rubbery mass that tended to slide off the slices. But I’ll take crappy pizza over no pizza any day.

2 Likes

deleted

deleted

Gift from the owner of a restaurant that’s doing a pop-up shop.