What's cookin'?

Love that collard recipe. Blows my mind every time I make it.

1 Like

I would like recipes. Otherwise they’re just pretty pictures to me.

Beautiful. How was the spice level? I saw scotch bonnets, chili pepper and habanero in the recipes. Yikes.

[quote=“Bookwich, post:344, topic:3429”]
Radicchio and orange salad. This vinegrette was excellent. Balsamic vinegar, walnut oil, orange juice and orange zest.
[/quote]Wonderful

[quote=“Bookwich, post:344, topic:3429”]
Chowhound’s December 21016 Homecooking DOTM is citrus salads, in case anyone is wondering.
[/quote]That’s a good one. My lemons are looking good. But I’m not finding good oranges.

[quote=“spicybrooks, post:350, topic:3429”]
Braised Duck with Chinese Rice Wine
[/quote]That looks great.

[quote=“President_Mochi, post:358, topic:3429”]
This would be fun here if there were enough participants.
[/quote]I’d be up for it after the holidays.

1 Like

[quote=“frommtron, post:359, topic:3429”]
That head peaking out! Too much!
[/quote]OMG. I just noticed that (iPhone). It still looks good. Poor ducky.

‘Marea’ style lardo, uni toast with a sprinkle of fleur-de-sel

7 Likes

I totally agree about that collard recipe, @frommtron. It’s in heavy rotation at my house.

Thanks so much, @TheCookie! I bet your son might enjoy these recipes. Yeah, I tempered the spiciness to my tolerance level. It was just spicy enough.

1 Like

Definitely!

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue: Anum anum. Melt in your mouth.

1 Like

Now that it’s been a little colder, it was the perfect time to make nabe, a Japanese hot pot. Mine has a miso-based broth. There’s no recipe today since I just winged it.

Here’s the fixings.

There’s no after photo since nabe isn’t really picturesque after it’s cooked. It’s basically a bunch of boiled stuff…

6 Likes

Do you have a bowl of rice with that or something?

Yes, you fish the veggies and meat out of the hot pot and eat them with rice. Afterwards, you can cook udon noodles in the leftover broth.

1 Like

I didn’t see any meat.

What’s the green in the middle and the half rounds at 3 o’clock?

Yeah, I don’t eat meat so I didn’t include it, but nabe is pretty typically made with some kind of meat, @robert.

@catholiver The dark leafy greens in the center is shungiku, chrysanthemum greens. The half rounds are slices of daikon, a type of radish.

Shingiku is also sold as tung ho / tong ho in Chinese markets and ssukgat in Korean markets.

Lovely knife work on the mushrooms. :smiley:

2 Likes