What's cookin'?

Rare grilled chuck steak, sauteed morels, wedge salad and corn on the cob.

1 Like

[quote=“catholiver, post:40, topic:3429”]
but as the grandparent I don’t have day to day access.
[/quote] True. If I had my 5 yr old godson more it would be different. With our boys (now men) I’m sensitive to them not liking a particular food. But general pickiness “I don’t want that.” I’m like “Tough. I’m not a short order cook.” But other people’s kids, that’s something else. It’s funny though… My picky eating godson likes stinky cheese too!

1 Like

Yeah. I do more careful menu planning when they’re coming to visit. I’m not going to cook two meals, that’s for sure. But I also make sure that everything we serve is food that we really like.

I’ve talked about this before but I’ll bore you again :slight_smile: I had a little bit of corn, a couple of tomatoes from dinner last night. Sauteed them for a few minutes in the oo left from the mushrooms. Add a tiny bit of steak. Poured the egg over, stirred a bit, added cheese, stirred some more and, voila :slight_smile: , breakfast. Not so pretty but darn tasty. I waste little food.

3 Likes

Here’s the recipes:

3 Likes

Hi @MaladyNelson -

That video was interesting, in that it wasn’t what I thought gobo was at all. All these years I’ve ordered and loved gobo in sushi restaurants, it was the salt marinated carrots. What’s up with that?

I love the Maangchi Website. It’s such a great source.

As usual, great pictures. I like how you do those above angles. It’s like looking at a magazine spread.

That’s so weird about the gobo, @TheCookie. Perhaps they gave you pickled/salted burdock, which may have resembled carrots. I’ve definitely had pickled burdock in sushi before. BTW, the Japanese word for carrot is ninjin.

Yeah, I totally agree that Maangchi is great. I love her effervescent personality. Plus her recipes always work.

Thanks again for your kind words. I always enjoy reading your posts.

[quote=“MaladyNelson, post:47, topic:3429”]
Perhaps they gave you pickled/salted burdock, which may have resembled carrots.
[/quote] I was curious and looked it up. Apparently some American sushi places use anatto to dye it orange for appearance, and it looks like carrots, or maybe they just use carrots and call it gobo :smirk:. Tasty though. Next time I see it on a menu I’m going to ask.

Thanks!

1 Like

Holy shlit. Looks fantastic! I definitely want to try them green beanz.

1 Like

Huh, I didn’t know about the anatto dye. You learn something every day!

1 Like

Aww thanks, @President_Mochi! The green beans are totally easy to make; you just have to crush the sesame seeds, which is a bit of a pain.

1 Like

Was REALLY in the mood for Spam musubi but discovered I was out of sushi rice. I consulted with a friend who’s a great cook esp. “Asian.” Of all the rices I do have, one he favored was sweet glutinous. It worked out just fine. The taste was spot on but it was really sticky which we knew would happen. A little difficult to assemble and eat but really tasty.

3 Likes

I have been on a pizza binge lately. Bought Jim Lahey’s “My Pizza” and his technique for quality home pizza as well as his dough recipe is really outstanding. Overdid it the other day and made my first batch of mozzarella. Really is so much better than you can buy.

5 Likes

Look at you. Great job.

Oh yum. Is there a link for the dough?

Hey @catholiver - They opened up July DoTM to home cooking… Shhhh. You should participate.

1 Like

Here you are! Jim Lahey's No Knead Pizza Dough Recipe
I use a pizza steel on top of my pizza stone, and preheat at 550 instead of 500.
Your morels will be delicious on a pizza!

That’s so funny/timely. A friend of mine and former CH star just gave me that recipe for pizza dough. I’m thinking about having a steel fabricated locally as they’re pretty spendy. Thanks.

1 Like

For real??? I’m so excited. I’ll check it out. Thanks, TC

Can of Staggs chili with two eggs poached in it . Because of some Fuk who canceled a hour before and didn’t show as a pop up .:frowning2:

2 Likes