What's cookin'?

Flavor is excellent. Texture is kind of soft, maybe because it was a relatively tender young head or maybe I let it sit in the brine too long. Next time I’m going to try just adding 3% salt by weight to the vegetables, like I do for sauerkraut.

1 Like

That looks great! What percent salt by weight did you add this time?

I used a traditional recipe that calls for 1-1/4 cups of salt and one cup of water for 5 lbs. of nappa. You let that macerate, then rinse and drain it and add the other ingredients, which have been mixed with a sort of rice-flour roux. So who knows what the ratio of salt to vegetables is.

Looks good. I think there might be a little too much liquid. Not sure how much of that was a result of the fermentation vs how much you added initially.

Whole Food large brown eggs
12 minutes at 265 degrees in air fryer
The other egg I made was perfect but forgot to take a picture. This one was slightly overdone for me. I think the time and temperature are correct but I need to rotate the eggs half way.

1 Like

No added liquid except the little bit in the rice-flour roux. My usual kraut is just nappa with 3% salt by weight and it ends up with way more liquid than that. I don’t mind a lot of liquid as I cook with it.

Same here. We purposely let the kim chee and liquid to ferment for a long time = mukeunji kimchi. Ye Dang in La Habra makes a great mekeunji with pork ribs and rice cakes. Great to spoon over rice and its a lot of food so you’ll almost definitely have leftovers. It’s tempting to use the aged kim chee in a jigae but we try to let ours sit for 4-6 months.

Pasticcio with Kiolbasa sausage (finally back in stock at Costco), leeks, red chard, tomato, cannellini, mozzarella, Pecorino Romano, Reggiano: good but would have been better if I’d used only half as much macaroni.

1 Like

Lobio, Georgian bean stew with kidney beans, browned onion, a whole bunch each of cilantro and parsley, blue fenugreek, marigold, Georgian coriander, oregano, black pepper, walnut oil, and lemon juice

1 Like

beet pkhali (green because we got Chioggia beets in our CSA box)

Vegan, gluten-free, no added fat. But I like it anyway.

More like reheating but the only way to eat Porto’s potato balls. The air fryer for the win.

4 Likes

WHAT!!! How did I not think of that? Must try!
Oooo… wonder if portos still has the turkey potato balls.
At what temp did you reheat them and for how long?

375 for 10 minutes.
The exterior develops a great crispy crunch. Most of the balls end up popping and oozing some potato but that’s not a problem for me.

We loved those turkey balls too.

why did you choose to go chopped rather than the whole napa with ingridients in between the leaves method? i’ve never made it just curious

Lazy. It’s a lot less work. And more convenient to serve.

1 Like

Thank you for the information!

I may go (foolishly, I know) to Porto’s on Valentines Day, to see what types of potato balls they had. Supposedly they also have seafood balls - I wonder if they developed those for the lent shoppers?

Yeah, they’re seasonal for Lent so they might not be out yet. The seasonal turkey potato came out well before Thanksgiving and stayed until nearly the end of the year but I haven’t seen anyone mention the seafood ones yet.

They’ve also reformulated them at least once- four or five years ago they were flattish (like the jalapeno cheese balls) and full of pretty bland frozen seafood products. However, we tried them a year or so ago and now they’re round, the potato crust appears seasoned and the seafood (while still nothing to write home about) is in some kind tomato based sauce. Worth trying.

1 Like

The Lenten potato balls are back. I had them last year and it reminded me of a shrimp bisque stuffed inside a crispy fried shell of mashed potatoes. I think I like the Lent version more than the Thanksgiving version.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Craig Claiborne, 1971:

I’m taking this as a loose guide to what I remember having and making in the 70s. I know it was rich, but four pounds of dairy per pound of pasta?