What's easier than grilling things over charcoal?

Always feel like Tritip is harder to cook than you might think because the meat seems dense and takes longer than you might think but it sounds like you nailed it! love the butcher paper trick.

It is such a flavorful cut of meat, Its been a while but I like to do a wet rub using sherry and mustard as the base then adding herbs/spices. I may have to do it again soon.

1 Like

It was on par with any steak we’ve made. Crazy juicy. But the real hero was the even marbling is the prime beef

1 Like

Trick is in the 3 way slice too.

1 Like

Teach me

1 Like

Please expound? You just get the meat up to 135 on the grill and wrap in butcher paper and take off?

Yes, internal temp of 135 and you wrap and let rest . I rested for 45 minutes in a warm spot near the bbq.

3 Likes

Thx I’ll have to give this a try!

I pictured Nemroz curled up like a cat next to the fire.

3 Likes

Skip down to the end of this. Grilled Santa Maria Tri-Tip Recipe: Poor Man's Filet Mignon Tri-tip is a crazy cut as the grain changes. Your rendition looks great!

1 Like

cool. i looked it up… makes sense… in fact i think i did notice the grain change but didn’t dare… many wine corks popped

2 Likes

It was my main new skill during pandemic. Reverse sear works perfectly (cold side of a grill for 45 minutes or so until it hits temp, followed by quick sear over high heat)

1 Like

good charcoal sale at Ace. grabbed 2

3 Likes

B&B is my favorite. Burns very well . Just purchased a bag frome ace hardware a week ago.I used to like cowboy. It sends out a lot of sparks like lazzari mesquite .

2 Likes

I’ll have to try that. I’ve been using Fogo and been really happy with it.

1 Like

We’ve been doing all sorts of ribs in a low and slow oven for years now and can’t imagine going back/down to fire.

though i’m happy that you’re happy fire and meat is essential for me… doing 3 slabs on sunday morning! i think i’m going to finally use some of the apple wood i’ve cut down

1 Like

In addition we’ve stopped burning wood for environmental reasons but we’re Pacific Northwest people so perhaps a little more into that kind of thing.

I come from hippie stock with the solar, ev, compost, vermiculture, rain water capture… Tree matter in landfills is worse than burning it. But I can’t say no to bbq. It’s an Armenian dna thing

3 Likes

Oh, goodness, up here trees are compostable, curb side.

That’s really nice!. My compost pile is huge but tree pruning are campfires and bbq material