What's easier than grilling things over charcoal?

And pita with ketchup and velveeta is pizza

You’re cute.

Lazy cassoulet: lard, onions, flageolets cooked with green garlic stems, Kiolbasa sausage, d’Artagnan duck confit & magret, Fabrique Delices duck gizzards confit.

2 Likes

Holey moley! I need to get more of those sausages - Costco, right?. That sounds so wonderful.

Always curious about cassoulet. What pot do you use? Any particular cooking methods?

I meant to ask what you grilled? The sausages?

Some steaks and cedar plank sockeye action yesterday

3 Likes

It’s not really cassoulet. I’m too lazy.

2 Likes

What are those black lines on the three steaks along the back?

shadows

LOL. I see now :slight_smile:

I hear ya’. I tried it once and it was a work out. It turned out well and tasted good but getting that crust on top with the luscious stew underneath is a practiced art - one not mastered by me.

Nobody noticed that we were grilling on gas on monday for that steak/salmon and gave me shit? Yall are slacking :stuck_out_tongue:

wasn’t at my home… we’ve used that grill a lot before and it never gives off any nastiness, so i’ guess @robert is right. the couple of places where the gas is gross (grill beef hearts at takatis come to mind) must need a good cleaning

1 Like

I saw it. I let it go because you’ve got some serious game on the grill and sometimes we do what we gotta do.

I have a BGE for smoking and a Fire Magic gas grill, which is great for weeknight grilling and really large parties. I’ve never noticed an off flavor from it. I actually preferred to cook expensive steaks on gas (before I switched to cast iron) because I wanted to taste the meat and felt that the smoke had a tendency to take over. To each his/her own.

1 Like

Thick steaks we almost always use cast iron. Got this ‘technique’ from jfood of CH.

"1 - let the steak come to room temperature for around 30 minutes out of the fridge
2 - Jfood suggests a VERY hot pan; most on the boards will tell you cast iron since it holds the heat best and will not lose temperature when you add the steak
3 - place the steak in the hot pan and do not touch it, do not push it, do not squeeze it. Just stand there and whistle a tune.
4 - When you see the edges get brown, flip it (this is called searing)

5 - place pan with the steak into a 400 degree oven to complete the cooking.

Invest in a thermometer at the beginning. Place through the side of the steak and check the temperature. jfood takes it out of the oven at 130 degrees. BTW - Be REAL careful using a potholder when you reach into the oven. Real freakin’ hot. Burns are not fun, but is a badge of graduation."

We did major remodels to two homes that already had natural gas so we had lines run to the deck/patio so we never have to run out of propane again. And we have a Brinkman smoker that uses wood “pucks” and I quickly discovered that I definitely don’t like mesquite.

Mesquite charcoal burns hotter, that’s the only culinarily significant difference between it and other natural charcoals.

I just don’t like the smell of mesquite. We have a Bradley smoker that uses “real” wood bisquettes. Liked all but the mesquite.

Oh, wood, not charcoal. Yeah, that’s too smoky.

1 Like

I definitely prefer cast iron steaks and is how i roll at home.

2 Likes

Yes, I only quick grill like shishkabob on mesquite. clean burners for long smoke