What's easier than grilling things over charcoal?

I just keep it on the stove top until done. Unless it’s 3 fingers +

like so

3 Likes

Totally agree. If it’s thicker and on the bone, I’ve gone to sous vide and finish in cast iron. Cooking is completely even throughout, which is especially nice on something like a porterhouse where the two sides cook at different rates.

3 Likes

What temp do you SV for a rare steak?

Daddy used to say and I quote “No matter what’s wrong with you a steak will make it better.” And THAT steak looks glorious :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I typically ride the line between rare and medium rare for cuts like rib steak and New York strip, so about 129. Rare, which I would do for tenderloin, is between 120 and 128.

1 Like

When I have thick ribeye steaks, I sear them, slow-roast in the oven at 200 degrees until they hit 117 degrees, and rest before serving.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s my way as well. A lot of people are reverse searing.

117 is my fave temp also. Haven’t tried your way but will.

That’s basically what the SV does. I take it up a little further because there is no carry-over heat with that method.

1 Like

I did! But it confused me, so I didn’t say anything!

Have you tried carbon steel? It has basically replaced my cast iron skillet.

I only make cornbread in my cast iron now simply for the nice depth it provides.

1 Like

What does carbon steel offer over CI?

lighter, thinner, heats up faster because of less mass. Same great sear. It’s what many restaurants use instead of cast iron

But not nonstick

Seasoned carbon steel should be just as nonstick as seasoned cast iron.

One of my CI skillets looks like it could be nonstick after all these years but when I want nonstick I use a ‘regular’ nonstick skillet.

As @aaqjr has stated, carbon steel produces the same sear as cast iron but much more function in terms of home use. It is lighter, heats faster, more sturdy, and provides a much smoother surface for near near stick cooking.

In terms of heating, I can sear a steak, pick up with one hand, open oven with other hand, and place the pan in the oven. When finished, with a simple kitchen towel, I can take out the hot pan and place on a trivet or the stove top grated with ease, one handed. With a cast iron, the weight pushed into my hand and makes it a two handed job with multiple kitchen towels and/or hot pads. Cleaning is much easier and the pan cools much faster.

I gave away my All Clad as the carbon steel pans have replaced them as well. So much easier to clean because of the non stick surface. Simple hot water a a wash cloth cleans in seconds. It is the jack of all trades. I only have a larger skillet for acidic cooking such as tomatoes which tends to take off the non stick finish I have built up and I am too lazy to season them again.

4 Likes

It is more nonstick that cast iron due to the smoother surface.

Thanks for elaborating. I will also. And take your points one by one. Weight simply doesn’t matter to me and I have very weak hands. All but my largest CI I can pick up with one hand. Oh, wait, here’s a picture I just took. They’re all either Griswold or Lodge and I believe it was only the smallest one that I bought new.

I cook on an induction cooktop so I actually frequently have to use a lower setting on everything or it gets too hot. As I wrote here, if I want nonstick I use one of my nonstick skillets. (And my nonstick cookware is likely between 8 and 15 years old.) I use the CI when I want to go from (pretty) high heat on the cooktop to high heat in the oven. I didn’t know that CI isn’t sturdy. I’m sure some of mine are over 50 years old and still going strong. I’ve never used more than one dish towel to carry any cookware from the oven. I know it’s sacrilege to some but I wash my CI with hot soapy water and then reseason.

i have been wanting one. what’s your brand?