What's So Great About Little Jewel?

The bread is authentic but who cares, if the bread is what makes the sandwich, well then somethings wrong. The Bread is at tleast 18 hours old by the time it gets here.

There is something splendid, and addictive about the roast beef at Little Jewel. I like it more than any other sandwich I’ve tried there. Sort of like a super juicy pot roast sandwich. The mayo, pickles, tomatoes and pillow-y bread with a dousing of crystals create a very addictive kind of sandwich experience.

2 Likes

Agree - it is exactly like one you would get at Tracey’s in the Irish Channel - or any of the great NOLA Po’ Boy shops

Just remember to be wearing a Hazmat suit when eating it.

2 Likes

Another vote for the roast beef – I love the shrimp at Little Jewel, but the roast beef is sneaky good and the portion has always been huge. I took one home and when I unwrapped it the meat was bursting out of it to such an extent that I found myself putting it on a postage scale and getting a reading of almost two pounds. I ate it over the course of the next three days…

4 Likes

Recently spent some time in NOLA hitting the more renowned po boy spots and Little Jewel was better than 75% of them. His shrimp blows one of the local favorites, Domilise’s, out of the water. It doesn’t hold up against Parkway Tavern’s shrimp or roast beef, my reigning champs and two of the greatest sandwiches I’ve had, but it’s close enough that the place is a real gift to LA.

I wish his muffeleta was a bit better. It’s well bested by Central Grocery, let alone Cochon Butcher who’s making a truly spectacular one.

2 Likes

Agree, their Irish Channel is one of my go to there if I have a huge appetite. That sandwich is insanely dense. Thank goodness for the pickles.

1 Like

Went there for the first time two weeks ago and have to agree. Had the oyster po boy. Way too much bread that wasn’t very good. Too expensive and too big. Also kinda boring.

Looks like I’m in the minority on this one. Hit Little Jewel last night before the Dodger game. Thought the Irish Channel Roast Beef was fine but not something I’d order again. Found the beef a little bland and stringy.

I actually prefer the muffaletta, which also puts me in the minority. Might also try the blackened chicken po boy the next time I’m there.

BTW, taking public transportation to Dodger Stadium is now super easy. We rode the Metro to Union Station, walked over to grab a quick bite at Little Jewel, then walked back and caught the Stadium Express to the game.

2 Likes