What's wrong with delivery services in LA?

That’s fucking outrageous. Will not be using ChowNow for delivery.

Alternatively, leave no tip in ChowNow and do a cash tip. For pickup, what ChowNow is doing makes sense. For delivery, less so.

1 Like

I just moved away 6 mos ago, but when I was there, I was in Glendale, a few blocks south of the Americana. Which was just far enough west to be out of range for Eagle Rock, just north enough to be out of range for silverlake/atwater, and too far east to be in range for thai town. For a hot minute, Silverlake’s Tomato Pie delivered to me, and then decided I was too far.

Most of the places that take credit cards for delivery will take the # over the phone, and just send you a reciept to write the tip and sign. At least, they did on the rare occasion I got it… Here in Vancouver, almost every restaurant uses little mobile cardswipe POS machines that drivers carry with them or that they bring to your table if you’re eating in. These have the added benefit of being chip-and-PIN stations, so there’s never a cleartext version of your info going through the ether or getting stuffed in some 19 year old’s glovebox. Most banks in the US are finally starting to move to chip-and-PIN, so I expect this will work itself out in a year or three.

1 Like

No, the US has instead adopted chip-and-signature, which is less secure.

1 Like

Oh FFS.

3 Likes

That’s a great suggestion, though I never seem to have the right amount of small bills for a tip. Part of the reason I prefer to do everything with a CC.

Perhaps things have improved since then? Last night, I plugged in a random address three blocks south of the Americana, and there were literally dozens of places that delivered to that location. Can’t vouch for their quality, though.

Yes but the problem is they usually write down the number on a slip of paper and enter it into the machine later to print the receipt. That scrap of paper usually goes into the trash/recycling, which is a major security lapse. The card companies actually have strict rules against it, but most places ignore them.

[quote=“lectroid, post:43, topic:4956”]
Here in Vancouver, almost every restaurant uses little mobile cardswipe POS machines that drivers carry with them or that they bring to your table if you’re eating in. [/quote]

We’re starting to see these more in the U.S. too, but they’re a bit of a PITA in my experience. The delivery guys often have to contort themselves to get reception outside my place, and there’s sometimes a delay in processing. It’s just a lot easier to do everything online.

Is there any outside delivery service that doesn’t suck? That’s a rhetorical question… unless you know of one, of course.

1 Like

For a delivery 1.5 miles from my house. The driver handed me his phone after processing my card.

This is a restaurant delivery, not Postmates or anything.

1 Like

Looks good

1 Like

I admit I almost never get delivery (occasional pizza excepting) and have never once used a delivery service. Do you generally tip drivers like you would a server? Don’t think i would.

Pizza delivery drivers usually don’t get more than 2 or 3$ from me -am i a horrible person?

Depends on how many pizzas you ordered, how far you are from the pizza place, and how much of a pain in the ass your place is to find.

4 Likes