What's you one favorite joint to go, its not neccessarily the most expensive nor necessarily cheap nor convenient but it's the one when someone asks what's your favorite restaurant you respond with nary a moment's thought though it may change depending on

Margarita’s Place, 7th & Main (Skid Row).
Open 24x7
Try the costillas en salsa roja.

or quality for less with tongue, ribs, squid, brisket, all sorts of stuff…lunch is like 15 bucks or so

http://www.yelp.com/biz/choi-ga-nei-korean-bbq-los-angeles

1 Like

No rice paper? whomp whomp.

no they have rice paper…was just there with a fellow f’ker and we feasted and had rice paper.

also other meats and stuff not on that old menu on yelp.

this spot is “dope”

1 Like

Ciro’s

The chorizo and eggs is addicting. The chilaquiles con heuvos is a gut bomb and really tasty. The chicken flautas, another great alternative. That avocado salsa they give you with their chips. Enough said. Carnitas quesadilla with so much carnitas and cheese it spills out the edges and the cheese gets all crispy from the parilla. Been going here forever is always stays in my regular rotation.

1 Like

Where I live my favorite restaurant is , " are you driving ."

ipse, Chef Sergio and Co. are too casual for linen. I’ve been trying to convince him to look into getting Island Creeks on the menu…my all-time favorite oyster. It’s been slow the last few times I’ve been in. Want to throw it as an option to help keep it alive. We don’t have too many places like this in the area…the next best alternative is to drive to the OC for Shuck.

My god Sergio is everywhere.

1 Like

n/naka
Kinjiro

I must be totally weird—since I saw this topic, I’ve been trying to come up with an answer and I just don’t have one. For me, my “favorite joint” is a place that fits my wants/needs/mood at a particular moment. I don’t like eating the same things all of the time and need to mix it up as far as food, flavor, location, etc. So, I don’t have one place that’s my favorite.

1 Like

Great post and some that have already been mentioned hit home for me too… there’s one other that prob won’t ever get listed here that has been around for a long time and I’ve been to countless times… La Barca on Vermont. Just a simple Mexican restaurant that I’ll never stop going to as long as it stays open. The enchiladas is my typical go-to order. Even if the wait is long don’t matter to me.

Good call. Reminds me of my love of the fernandos special burrito with a chile relleno rice and beans inside, smothered etc at Gilbert’s el Indio. That’s comforting stuff that keeps me coming back. I’ll need to go la barca cuz I’m always interested in good enchiladas.

1 Like

Different Chef Sergio…not to be confused with the Chef Sergio of Coni’Seafood fame. Sorry for the confusion.

I’m a big fan of their steak picado and milanesa as well.

Yes! The chile rellono burrito at Gilbert’s! We now live further away from there but every time we go back, I get that burrito and I am HOME. Love it.

The salsa at Nick’s Cafe downtown does the same thing for me.

Good choice

Nanbankan and All’Acqua are the two that always come to mind.

The service/atmos/food is homey and comforting… nothing “fine” or “fancy” about it… can get crowded and that can be a pain of a wait but ppl waiting are used to it if they’re regs… once you’re seated just relax with your fam have a cold beer and gain a few pounds. :grin:

1 Like

Hi Kevin,

Fun topic, thanks. I can’t limit myself to one, but since others have broken that barrier. In no particular order:

Pizzeria Mozza
Nanbankan (I’ve been going there for about 25 years.)
Elite
Tacos Punta Cabras
Sweet Rose Creamery
Attari Sandwich Shop
Naan Hut (For the heavenly sangak bread.)
Tara’a Himalayan
Aroma Cafe (The one on Overland near Pico)

R.I.P

Sawtelle Kitchen
The Spice Table (I’m liking Cassia, but I’ve only been there twice so far.)
Indo Cafe
Sushi Central

Everyone, please don’t slam me for my choices being concentrated on the Westside. It’s where I live.

Mac, nice list. I miss Sawtelle Kitchen, too. I like that style of yoshoku and they had reasonable lunch specials; it was an easy choice to pop in at any moment when on the Westside. Please note that they have opened “Del Rey Kitchen” in Culver / Marina Del Rey. It’s not exaclty the same, but similar in style (see Menu here)

Man, some Indonesian food sounds good. Too bad to hear about Indo Cafe. Could go for some nasi rames or nasi goreng jawa tengah right about now.