What's your favorite place to dine in the city . S.F?

Chris Cosentino’s been doing some great modern takes on old-school SF dishes at Cockscomb: celery Victor, Green Goddess, shrimp cocktail, Pisco Punch. I think one of the dishes is a twist on a Hangtown Fry.

Orsa & Winston reminded me of Yuzuki and other Japanese places with very understated, refined dishes.

Baroo’s more out there and in your face, like Bar Tartine or the late lamented Plum.

I think Baroo is more understated than “in your face”.

At least when one puts the focus on taste. Which is what I usually do when I eat.

The two dishes I had at Baroo had bold flavors, especially the pasta with oxtail faux ragù, kraut powder, Reggiano stravecchio, and gochujang.

what do the *** mean?

la ciccia
cockscomb
bar crudo
saison
ppq
b patisserie
humphry slocombe
bi rite
lers ros thai
anchor oyster bar
state bird
liho liho
acquerello
swan oyster
hog island
in situ
rich table
la folie

*** = my favorite places. I forgot to paste the footnote.

I am heading up to the Bay Area for work next week. Was looking at dining options that have piqued my interest for a while and that have availability for the time that I am there. I am thinking about:

• Keiko a Nob Hill (never been)
  • Californios (never been)
  • Commis (been three times and would gladly go again, esp. since I will be staying in the East Bay)

Any recent or relatively recent experiences that may help me to make my decision would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Did I miss your report back?

I’ve never been to keiko, but i just looked at the menu and it looks great. It’ll be on my list for next time.

Have you considered lazy bear? I enjoyed that more than californios.

Thanks for the feedback, @PorkyBelly. Yeah, everything about Keiko’s menu is appealing to me. I did have one friend whose opinion I trust say that it was good, but not mind blowing. Was hoping to find some other experiences to compare.

I have looked at Lazy Bear before. The food/menu doesn’t really pop at me based on social media observations. I could be way off base though. However, the reason for my trip may get postponed (again) and I would hate to be stuck with a ticket to a dinner than I could not attend.

I went ahead and made a reservation for Californios. I am going to CDMX the following week for a few days. It might be an interesting to dine there in contrast to what I will be eating in Mexico while on vacation. @PorkyBelly: did you post a review of your expereince there somewhere already?

I guess i never did post a review on Californios, there are some thoughts in this thread.

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that.

I’m going next week. Will be sure to post. They just upped to 15 courses at $157.

Anyone think Commonwealth is worth going to?

Commonwealth is worth going to and their prices are very reasonable by SF’s depraved standards.

Lately it’s been 'aina

The Taro French Toast is like what a BLT would be if it went “Bruce Jenner” on us and decided to become a dessert. And I love the fact that 'aina serves brunch on weekdays (W-F).

Is it better to order a la carte or get the tasting menu?

How does 'aina compare to Liholiho Yacht Club? Also, it’s brunch only?