When did ethnic foods become "so expensive"?

Silver Lakers. Sqirl types.

I definitely going to give P&P a try!

But best believe I am going to hit up Dollar Hits next. Hang out with some cool Aunties, have some friendly conversation, hopefully enjoy some live music or singing, but definitely no balut for me though.

Isn’t this fried chicken craze . Just soul food. It’s all ethnic food . It’s the price you pay .

It’s in Historic Filipinotown, IIRC. Is rice porridge associated strongly with Filipino cuisine (genuine question)?

Yes, arroz caldo!!

2 Likes

Who does that?!?

2 Likes

Also, not being a native Angeleno I was interested to learn that Historic Filipinotown was only designated that name in the early aughts at which point Filipinos didn’t actually make up the majority of the population. I believe that’s why “historic” is in the name in recognition of it being the one of the earliest of several predominantly Filipino neighborhoods.

This certainly isn’t to distract from larger issues of displacement, just pointing out it’s not a cut and dried case of “fancy” asian food supplanting more traditional asian food.

Anecdotally, although arroz caldo is an established Filipino dish I don’t personally know anyone that grew up with it. I’m sure plenty of people would say otherwise but with over 7000 islands it’s always an interesting and worthwhile question as to what traditions are “associated strongly” with Filipino cuisine.

1 Like

sorry, but anyone who calls their product porridge should expect the comparison. it’s called marketing. ask chevy why they renamed the nova to sell to spanish speaking customers. (“no va”)

2 Likes

I’m cracking up at some of the latest responses:

It’s PORRIDGE but please note:

1. It’s only intended for Asian Americans or Non-Asians
  2. Don’t compare this to your grandma’s porridge or anything in SGV or anything else offered in Asia
  3. Don’t compare the pricing to anything in SGV or any local OG chinese restaurants.
  4. The ingredients are vastly superior to any porridge offered in SGV so it cannot by any measure be considered inferior to what’s available in SGV.
  5. Eventhough you grew up with porridge your entire life. If you don’t get my porridge - fuck off, you don’t know jack
  6. Your grandma’s porridge doesn’t hold a candle against this porridge. I sourced some high end artisanal ingredients and my technique is the shiz. Did I mention I staged at Noma, El Bulli, Per Se, Arpege, El Celler… Where did you train - Lung King Heen?? Pffft… There’s no way your old world or grandma porridge can compare to this technique
  7. Don’t criticize the porridge if it doesn’t elicit any memories of what you are accustomed to. It’s superior and if you are a hater you’re probably a racist Asian yelper - so please fuck off
  8. It’s fancy porridge so expect French haute cuisine portions. You’re supposed to leave hungry.
  9. This a new revolutionary porridge concept - there ain’t nothing like it out there. Think Vespertine level mind blowing shit - you either get it or you don’t

Comments purely for entertainment purposes only

Btw have any Yankees tried selling new fangled BBQ creations to Texans?

5 Likes

Dunno about Yankees, but Vietnamese have, successfully.

You will love Singapore! Such a great city for foodies. I didn’t get to try this place, but when I go next I’m definitely going and getting the overflowing ikura.

Likewise, this place is on my list for my next visit, too. The Botanic Gardens are an absolute joy to peruse through–such beautiful landscape architecture!

I quite enjoyed my food at Eminent Frog Porridge.

Loved my peking duck at Imperial Treasure, and their Shanghainese concept was pretty bomb, too.

Can’t go to Singapore without getting HCR!!

London Fat Duck was pretty good; it’s like how many ways can you eat duck in one meal?

I had bak kuh teh for the first time, too.

So. Many. Hawker. Centres.

1 Like

i won’t speak for anyone else, but there’s a comfort food aspect for me, in the same way folks eat sul long tang. in it’s simplest form, it’s bland and requires seasoning. the seasoning process has become a ritual for me; exactly so much salt, the slightest amount of black pepper for depth in the spiciness call it about 80 hz if it were a musical note, while the tablespoons of kimchi juice add spice in the upper frequencies, with four spoons of fresh minced green onion add their own bite with a different timbre. i approach jook much the same way when i make it at home. soy sauce, a touch of sesame oil, minced green onion. a touch of white pepper, a thousand year old egg if i have any. and i tend to use a smaller ratio of water to rice, so at home it’s a lot thicker in texture (more like oatmeal). my sister somewhere along the way discovered pickled vegetables and her entire family puts them in their jook, which i just won’t do,even if it’s the only seasoning they have. the point is that there are memories associated with certain foods and a lot of good chefs out there are trying to evoke these memories when they create their own versions of a dish.

Seems indisputable to me that there’s an element of racism in how different the discussions are about Minh Phan’s porridge and Jessica Koslow’s.

3 Likes