Where is the Poke?

2 poke bowls for $20, cheaper than 4 hand rolls @ kazunori. I wonder if sushi sales have suffered from this poke expansion.

Jus poke is my favorite it’s in redondo might be a little far. They make it Hawaiian deli style with different marinades and specific cuts of fist as opposed to the normal pick and mix at the fast casual spots.

[quote=“Ns1, post:22, topic:3592”]
I wonder if sushi sales have suffered from this poke expansion.
[/quote] That’s a good question. Sushi dining is an experience, and there are people who will always want that particular experience. But if you love the components of sushi and can live without the pomp of the sushi place, not to mention the expense, then Poke is great.

Redondo is not too far @hungryhungryhippos. We have 2 friends in Redondo, who we try to see at least once a month. We trade off who goes to whose city. It’s our turn to go there :wink:. Now I just have too see if they like Poke. [quote=“hungryhungryhippos, post:23, topic:3592”]
specific cuts of fish as opposed to the normal pick and mix at the fast casual spots.
[/quote] I like that. It’s another thing to like about sushi over poke, the variety.

1 Like

I am a big fan of Sweetfin in Santa Monica…high quality fish.

I just started going to Sweetfin recently (yes, I’m always late to these things), and I also love it. The noodles (as a replacement for the rice) are quite good, and I really like the classic sauce. The SaMo branch has a line coming out the door sometimes, and it’s well-deserved, IMHO.

1 Like

Hey @wienermobile - Is that bonito or fried onion?

Crispy Onion

1 Like

BTW, they do sell out of the crispy onion on occasion (FYI)…

I finally tried the cafeteria style poke bowl at a place on Ventura Boulevard in Studio City near Fulton Avenue. It was fine and they had three sizes and a nice warning not to wait more than an hour to eat food to go. If anyone wants I can look it up.

More importantly, does anyone know where I can get aku Poke? As opposed to ahi poke made clear from tuna, aku poke is made from Bonito/skipjack.

http://foodtalkcentral.com/t/sea-salt-poke-a-pictorial-essay

1 Like

[quote=“Jerome, post:31, topic:3592”]
As opposed to ahi poke made clear from tuna, aku poke is made from Bonito/skipjack.
[/quote] That was an interesting tidbit. Maybe that’s why I found the albacore at Mainland a little bland.

I can’t find aku poke anywhere in Southern California.

As far as the spread and appeal, it’s interesting. I never saw this kind of poke bowl in Hawaii. The freshness doesn’t really concern because the fish is marinated, or is supposed to be marinated at least . It’s more like ceviche bowl

What I finally got struck me more as a build your own chirashi sushi bowl (without the vinegar-marinated rice). As for the fish, not at all reminiscent of the interestingly marinated punk I got in Hawaii.

1 Like

No this SoCal poke craze is not like legit Hawaiian grindz poke. This is poke meats chipotle.

Here is a previous thread with some seemingly more legit options: Santa Monica Poke? - #29 by Porthos

[quote=“Jerome, post:34, topic:3592”]
the fish is marinated, or is supposed to be marinated at least . It’s more like ceviche bowl
[/quote] Yeah, Mainland doesn’t pre-marinate. In fact the server states this like it’s a selling point. You choose a marinade that they splash on the rice & fish before adding other ingredients. Yeah, I love ceviche.

Well this is just flat out wrong.

I think you are wrong. Literally.

Sure eater15 might have exaggerated but it appears those articles point out more exceptions than the rule. Still, they highlight that more are aware of the issues related to catch, logistics and sustainability. My fear is that like our group, they are small in number relative to the general sushi and seafood market in general, and like yelp, most tend to fall in that other group.

2 Likes

Cool stuff @ipsedixit. Thanks. I like the unique ways these restaurants are coming up with to let you know what’s on your plate. I have the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch app on my phone. But it’s so hard to figure out. It goes something like this: You can have this type of farmed seafood, but not this type of farmed seafood, and only if it’s from this region of said country, and only if the farm uses this method, blah blah blah. You have to spend 15 minutes reading your phone, then ask your server 10 questions just to find out if the shrimp on the menu is ok to eat. It’s like f_ _ _ it. I’ll just take my chances or stick to wild-caught salmon.

Don’t order red snapper - it’s more likely freshwater tilapia filled with parasites…

Tuna likely scary $2.00/lb loins… As a point of reference (see pic), lower quality whole tuna auction prices are around $2.5 - 4ish /lb. Better quality fish trades in the low teens $.

1 Like