Where to buy conservas in LA?

Hey LA Conserva fam,

I was able to get my hands on Conservas Gueyumar (https://www.conservasgueyumar.com/en/home/).

This is the first time they are in the US, ever!

Their distributer was intro’d to me and I was lucky enough to procure some at wholesale since I am in the wine/pop up world.

They are sending me extras that I don’t need and didnt realize they were charging me for :frowning:

If anybody wants to take these off my hands for the holidays, you can pick up contactlessly in LA or we can meet up for a handoff. Just looking to recoup cost and get some of these conservas to people who will appreciate them.

Gueyu Mar - Sardines Tails

Gueyu Mar - Cockles

Gueyu Mar - Sardines Loins

Gueyu Mar - Sardines Loins Pickled

Gueyu Mar - Squids in Ink

Gueyu Mar - Razor Shells

Also, the tins themselves look really cool and would make great gifts.

Also, if anybody wants anything by the case, just message me.

6 Likes

Very interested!
How about a sampler pack with one of each?

1 Like

Berberechos are the best! Wish we could get them fresh here

I’d love to buy the same, what’s the best way to get in touch?

1 Like

I’m with @wanderlustre. Would love to try a sampler pack.

Shoot me message for now guys and I will figure out what I have when I get the package. It’ll mainly be the Sardines (for now). If people have interest in getting a lot more, I can have them ship to me.

1 Like

Hell yeah! I’d love to snag some from you.

Shoot me a message. They have arrived!

Can anyone educate me on the differences of eating a preserved sardine loin vs a tail vs the whole fillet? It certainly seems to be dancing (swimming?) on the head of a pretty small pin, but if some company has gone to the trouble of separating them there must be a material difference.

2 Likes

This new site was listed in NYT. I don’t know much about this topic

3 Likes

Check out enthusiast Tim Marchman’s substack: Popping Tins

3 Likes

Didn’t know Patagonia was in this game

1 Like

I tried Patagonia sardines and/or mackerel and/or anchovies recently (bought at store in Jackson Hole) and thought they were bad compared to European conservas. I have no idea exactly why; they just didn’t taste as good. I wouldn’t buy them again.

Anyway, DTLA Cheese in Grand Central Market has a big selection of conservas (or at least they did 1-2 years ago).

1 Like

The Patagonia stuff is pretty decent. A step above supermarket stuff. I’ve seen them on sale a few times and definitely worth it at sale prices. This was at Lassen’s.
Made a trip up to Epicurus Gourmet today and they’ve greatly expanded their selection since the last time I went. Lots of fun choices and they also stock Espinaler Sauce. Used to have to order from Caputo’s.

2 Likes

DTLA Cheese now has their own stand alone store and their Conserva Selection is tight, but well curated. It’s just down the street from GCM.

4 Likes

I’m putting together gift bags for work (conservas, cheeses & such) and came across Fishwife’s sweet site. Of course, I also had to get a few things for myself. I’ll post as I open & eat them.

6 Likes