Where to go when you want to be comforted?

Chances are quit favorable that Sgee was, at that moment, the only person in the world eating that particular dish in that particular style of dress.

5 Likes

denny’s superbird

and

3 Likes

Mama Joan’s Soul Food

Smothered fried chicken, collards, dressing, and candied yams with cornbread and sweet tea. Banana pudding to finish.

They even treat you like family.

1 Like

Love this post!

Dan Tana’s baby. . .hopefully, with Kevin at the bar.
Panns for the best damn patty melt!!
Woody’s Wharf…Newport beach
Neptune’s Net…Malibu
El Ranchito…Newport beach
Eric’s at the pier…Avalon

Any Mc D’s for the beloved Filet O’ Fish with extra tartar and a small fry squished together…oh yeah baby…troubles melted away and the world is good and the Jimmy Dean Sun comes out…

6 Likes

Chego

(and then something from Scoops.)

2 Likes

Had my last birthday meal at Dan Tana’s. Veal parm, Manhattan up, wife and best friends. Good call!

1 Like

Great post! My go to at lunchtime is Ed’s on Robertson for a grilled cheese, bacon, avocado and tomato sandwich on whole wheat. For dinner it’s Nanbankan. Always made to feel at home and the food is consistently delicious.

1 Like

My go-to’s:

Apple Pan (Hickory Burger, Fries, Coke, Banana Cream Pie)

Gjelina Take-Away Pizza slices

Pad see ew from any good thai place.

4 Likes

Dan Tana’s!!!

2 Likes

I think Bestia is this place for me usually.

1 Like

Agree with Apple Pan. Hector remembering how I like my burger for the last 35 years is the ultimate comfort food server.
Lucques when I want wonderful food served in a warm environment by experienced servers also works
Vito Restaurant on Ocean Park Blvd is also in the comfort food pantheon.

2 Likes

Fosselman’s chocolate dipped strawberry ice cream always cheers me up

2 Likes

Went to Vito’s a couple of weeks ago, for first time. Absolutely the kind of place I had in mind!

2 Likes

Vito’s is the place for caesar salad and spaghetti and meatballs Spaghetti and meatballs only served weekends, Those deep leather banquettes and kind waiters (not servers, but old time dressed up in tux waiters ) are of another era. Cocktails are very very good.

2 Likes

OH yes. Yes!!!

1 Like

Speaking of Pad See Ew, any favorite place to get this? Sapp’s offers a good one but I honestly haven’t experienced very much of a difference between any thai place and this dish.

Most pad see ews are pretty similar, but some are a cut above. My favorite one is at Night Market Song. The dish is just bursting with flavor, and everything is cooked just right. Otherwise, I like it quite a bit at the following places:

–Krua Thai
–Sanamluang
–Khun Dom Thai
–Pok Pok Phat Thai

Apple Pan, Sapp Coffee Shop, and Seungbukdong

1 Like

Animal for this fucker

Animal style with whole grilled onions and extra toast

5 Likes

Grilled cheese animal style with whole grill onion from in N out with animal fries is my #1 comfort food. Also used for comfort are the following: chirachi bowl at Jinpachi (lunch only unfortunately), black & white mini cake from Cake Monkey, Donuts (anywhere tasty; depends where I am - usually SKs, Donut Friend, or Donut Factory), BURRITOS - Cofax, Senor Fish, or Cacao usually. Also, picking up Banchan from Jun-Won Banchan on Olympic. I love shopping for food there. All of the above have helped and continue to help me when I’m feeling blue.

1 Like