Where would you go to a grab a nice mixed drink or cocktails that's not quite that pretentious but not necessarily a dive bar ? so it's not like you have to wait and deal with the newest hot spot part of the mixology movement?

Both of my suggestions are more restaurants than proper bars, but Republique and Mess Hall both make excellent cocktails.

Sonny’s Hideaway on York. Yes it can be a touch slow, and it is in a trendy neighborhood, but I think it’s a little bit outside the center of the ‘movement.’ I can pretty much always get a seat, it’s a nice place to hang, and the bartenders are always cool and happy to explain and/or pour a taste of the weird liqueurs that they use in their drinks - that’s how i discovered my true love, Zirbenz.

1 Like

n the same token, Greyhound…

but GDAMN York is nothing if not hipster filled.

littlefork, if you can deal with the hipsters

Corner Door in Culver City. Except for Friday and Saturday nights, it’s usually a hangout for locals and not very crowded. The drinks are great and consistent.

The bartenders at Tam O Shanter tend to be awfully good. You can’t spend all night there. But you can hang : )

2 Likes

Nice one – I like that place. Haven’t been there in a cpl years but had good times there.

Snooze - yikes they make a good martini.

Hit them up for happy hour one day : )

1 Like

+2 Normandie Club.

Also, Tony’s Art’s District.

jeepers, if the drink is good, who gives a good god damn
who else is there drinking?
yeah, sometimes i like drinking exclusively with old, fat, ugly
people, but sometimes i don’t.
why don’t we change this to GETOFFMYLAWNFOODTALKCENTRAL
and be done with it?

1 Like

Belcampo has a great bar program, as does anything in the Bill Chait portfolio (Broken Spanish, BS Taqueria, Redbird, Sotto, Catch & Release, Petty Cash, etc) - all of these bars are by Julian Cox and Josh Goldman of the Soigne group. Melrose Umbrella Co, Sassafrass, the Chestnut Club, Power House, The Pikey, Big Bar are also going to be good bets.

1 Like

well, for fuck’s sake, sometimes i’d like a little eye candy with my solid drinks, not that I can well you know… considering i’m one helluva corpulent, balding, fat fuck :slight_smile:

Y’know where I like, and ties in with your recent request about where to go before a movie? Is Maggiano’s at the Grove. Their pours are huge, there’s decent eats if you need some, the waitstaff is attractive, and at $11 for Ketel One in the middle of tourist hell, you could do a lot worse.

If the movie isn’t necessary, I also like Pearl’s Liquor Bar on the Strip. Their Happy Hours are great, and there be oysters, crabs, and lobsters thar.

And, sure, littlefork.