Where's you favorite fucking Dan Tats?

Thought it would be a grand idea to consolidate it in this here thread.

The quality of these seem to be going up, pretty much across the board, over the last decade, from the old cart places, to the menu places with tarts with the fancy edges on the crust and the brulee’d tops. Hard to pick.

The ones with brulee’d tops are Macau-style tarts (Po tats). They are a different dish.

Thanks for clarifying.

Do these exist within the confines of Beverly Hills, Santa Monica or West LA ???

There’s Chinese food on the Westside?

Maybe if you’re looking from Palm Springs.

1 Like

Great fucking point. Carry on guys.

Actually they only have to drive to Chino Hills now to get their Chinese food fix. They used to drive to Rowland Heights.

Might that Chinese ??? Buffet on fucking Wilshire near Bsrringtin with Fijian fish balls have some dan tat even if it is supremely fucking crappy ???

There is Min’s dumpling house in Rancho Cucamonga.

There’s also a Hong Kong style banquet restaurant (think 888, Ocean Star, NBC) being planned for the area.

Union Buffet is out of business. Possibly The Palace right on the corner of Wilshire and Barrington might have egg tarts.

dan tats is the name of the kid who broke my finger in the 3rd grade.

(that’s not true. i skipped the 3rd grade)

Timing is everything. A fresh out of the oven Dan Tart is an autowin unless the product is really botched up. Having a couple hours old Dan Tart from your fav bakery is like winning the retart Olympics; there’s really no point. And this is why the restaurant’s DT usually tastes better. If you want to have DT at its peak flavor, just ask the waiter, or Dim Sum ladies, to keep an eye out for fresh out of the oven ones. They will accommodate you most of the time.

2 Likes

Actually a cold, day-old egg tart pairs really quite well with some hot fudge. Goes down really well, too.

#GoldMedalPodium

To me, a too hot to handle DT always reigns supreme. But now a days, Kee Wah wouldn’t let you grab the DTs that just came out. The clerks will wait 15 minutes and put them in the glass case and then sell them to you. FFS, it’s 12 minutes too late already. >_<.

I sorta see your point about saucing the DT. Something to experiment with.

[quote=“kevin, post:1, topic:1660”]
Where’s you favorite fucking Dan Tats[/quote]
you keep asking this… but I think what you’re actually saying is:

“I know where your (Chinese people?) favorite Cantonese egg tart is – somewhere in Chinatown/SGV – but I’m a lil delusional (like Adrian Reynold on Eater) and keep thinking there’s edible Chinese food west of the 110, north of 105.”

There is not, especially when it comes to something that requires so much skill, and has such a limited Western audience.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED THIS DECADE and it won’t even if you keep asking over and over brah. Chinese egg tart: Jim’s, Kee Wah, Seafood Harbor (blech, not very good), or some Cantonese dimsum equivalent.

1 Like

How about egg white egg tarts? I know I’ve seen them in Hong Kong, New York and San Francisco. Thought I saw them somewhere in the SGV but I might be hallucinating.

Simply Splendid

Five different types egg tarts, including egg white.

Portuguese
HK Shortbread crust
HK Pastry crust
Taiwanese
Egg white

(Diamond Bakery used to have them not sure now)

Happy Harbor in RH had Egg White DT last time I visited.