Which Wich--not so bad

Yikes. $12 and not feeling satiated doesn’t sound very tempting. Not super close to Northridge, but I might try it if I’m in the area just for comparison (and b/c I can go to Mandarin Deli if I’m not full enough afterward!).

Not sure how you got to $12. Adding ingredients that cost (many don’t)? Getting the longest sandwich?

I got a medium sandwich (I think it was ham and bacon?) which was $9 and then I added avocado which was $1.50 I think. With tax the total was a couple cents under $12. It wasn’t some oddball order.

I think the sandwich without the avocado wasn’t worth $9 either. They were pretty stingy with the fillings.

You can add all sorts of stuff for free: red onions, spinach, peppers, etc. Suum cuique.

You’re a fan – I got it. I personally don’t think paying $10 for a sandwich that’s mostly bread with not much meat or veg is very satisfying. (the sandwich I got was $9.50 without $ add-ons – just checked their website. And yes, I did add a number of veggies, all of which were added sparingly)

Maybe your location is better than the one by me. It’s usually pretty dead in there when I walk by.

I get that you didn’t like it. I checked the website and a bacon and ham is $9.25. Avocado is $1.00.

Not at the Northridge location:

With tax, that comes out to $11.99.

I’ll stick to Jersey Mike’s and Stone Oven.

Must be franchisees have pricing leeway?
If price is a primary consideration, then I don’t think you can beat Subway’s $0.50 anniversary special.

Just spend the extra $4 for a sandwich at Gjusta.
:yum:

:yum:

2 Likes

But there’s SO much other stuff to get a Gjusta, so you end up spending way more than $16! :wink:

1 Like

IMO which wich sucks.

Actually, scratch the IMO. It does suck. You eat it when you only have certain options. When you’re looking at the type of options where WW is a consideration, you probably eat WW because it probably sucks less than those other options.

But if you’re just looking at sandwiches generally, there are 2 options: either price is a factor or it isn’t. If it is, you’ll never find a better sandwich for the money than a banh mi from just about anywhere, so you just eat that.

If it isn’t, I second @wienermobile’s sentiment that you just go to a place that makes an actually great sandwich like Gjusta.

i find this to be less and less true for banh mi, especially as meat prices (and egg) continue to rise.

Lee’s has bumped nearly all sandwiches to $3.50-$4 now, and that shit has long been barely edible. Which wich’s Wednesday $5 (NB: Today) specials are almost doubly substantial.

Just like $1 taco is more and more becoming a thing of the past, so is the dirt(y) cheap banh mi.

1 Like

I’ve found 2 reliable $1 taco spots:

The Mi Tesesita truck on Western just south of Santa Monica. They’re only there in the evenings. Solid.

Sandy’s Tacos on Saticoy and Lankershim in North Hollywood. Little corner spot. Soccer on the TV. Working guys getting lunch. They do cabesa and lingua and tripe, if that’s your thing. I stuck with the basics. The Pastor was deeeelish.

@TonyC: how long ago did you have the $5 Wed special at Which Wich? I went today, and the cashier had never heard of it (it’s a very new location)?

And I forgot I was going to try the caprese today!!! Argh. Cured meats were calling out to me…

They aren’t currently having Wicked Wednesdays,

Last week. You guys are a skeptical bunch that just made me take an unnecessary smoke break:

I’m standing in front of the store now, in the burbs. #ymmv

1 Like

Sorry, Tony. I was just relating what I was told in Pasadena. Apparently, there are differences between outlets.
Hope you enjoyed the smoke!

This is what I’m getting at. If I’m paying for a $12 fast food sandwich, it needs to be good, because I can go to Jersey Mikes or Stove Oven and pay $8 for a better fast food/chain sandwich, or I can take that same $12 and get a good sandwich at a non-fast food place. $12 for a mediocre sandwich does not make me want to go back again.

1 Like

Your point about quality is well taken. I’m sure the $16 sandwich from Gjusta is superior. Your point about price, not so much. The money you paid at Which Wich was for a 10.5" sandwich. You also added avocado which is an upcharge. Without that add on and limiting yourself to a 7" would have been $6-7.

When I say “just about anywhere,” it can be surmised that I’m excluding something. And if I’m crossing any banh mi off the list, you really shouldn’t bring up Lee’s, which you must know is among the first to go.