Whittier/La Mirada/La Habra/Brea - Need new neighborhood suggestions

It sure is. Off the top of my head Bunea Park/Garden Grove has K-town transplants of
Kang Ho Dong
Eight
Yu Chun Neangmyun (not open just yet)
Ham Ji Park
Sul n Beans
Honey Pig
Paik’s Noodles
Ondal
Myung In Dumplings
Shik Do Rak
I wouldn’t mind a few more Korean BBQ choices like a Park’s or Quarters. There is definitely enough variety and quality out in the OC.

Do you know what restaurants are going into the Source? Ramen place I’ve never heard of and a Mexican joint. I haven’t seen the full lineup yet.

1 Like

Here is a popular website started by a 26 yr. old. https://hungryinwhittier.com
He & his girl go to Portsmouth too. I’ll tell them about the happy hour. Very cool.

Sorry, @TheCookie. I meant that The Bottle Room has a great Sunday all-day happy hour. Portsmouth does a fantastic Sunday brunch and has all-day happy hour Tuesdays and regular happy hours the rest of the week.

Correction noted :relaxed:.

They also just opened a Black Bear Diner on Harbor in the Ralph’s shopping center at Berkeley in Fullerton.

We like the food at Moros but are in soft boycott because their BYOB is only for wine and champagne but not beer. Asked the waiter if the chef would try the homebrew saison I wanted to open but he said the chef was against allowing beer.

Jimmys Famous in SD has a great view and good food but the beer selection was weak. Assume the Brea one is the same. (Less the view)

Lots of good suggestions already (esp. Bizarra Capital and Colonia Publica), to add to the growing list, I suggest looking at Amor y Tacos and Phlight and The Commoner for some interesting tapas, and Tao Chinese for a good rendition of west coast General Tso’s Chicken.

1 Like

Thanks, @ipsedixit. I already frequent Amor Y Tacos…my office is down the street. I really like Phlight…seating at the counter is so fun. I will check out The Commoner.

Are you guys hiring?

2 Likes

Pro tip re: Moros - call in any paella ahead of time otherwise you will be there for close to 2 hours. I really like their seafood paella. Tasted even better as leftovers.

And Early Bird gets crowded, be prepared to wait.

Enjoy! Very good suggestions all around.

2 Likes

@ipsedixit We are not currently looking for attorneys or JDs…unless perhaps you have health care and Medicare/MediCal experience, but there’s a large law firm across the street from us…Atkinson, Andelson, Loya, Ruud & Romo.

Anyone have a suggestion for Thai in this general area (or a little further South)? Nakorn in Garden Grove has been our best option thus far but we would love to find a place that is closer to Fullerton.

It’s the other direction but there is a Ruen Pair in Industry on Gale and Fullerton.

Early Bird
Since the move, none of my family seem to want to wake up early. Ended up arriving at about 12:15PM, and had a 20 minute wait. But it was well worth it.
S’mores Pancakes (today’s special) - The kid loved it and ate half of this humongous portion. He and his brothers appreciated the melted toasty marshmallows on top.

Double stack griddle cakes - the most impressive thing was how crispy they are…these were well-executed. The kid loved them, but his eyes were bigger than his stomach…he only ate half of one pancake.

Frank Floyd Benedict - low carb and quite good with a salad…though potatoes probably would have been better. Trying to eat well…moving has made for some not so healthy meals.

Duck confit hash - I thought the duck was a bit too dried out…it felt a bit more like carnitas than duck confit, but I guess it could be for texture. The sunny side up eggs were gorgeous and perfect.

Overall, good experience…the kids were already talking about what they would order the next time we come in. Service was good. It seems like 1PM is the perfect time to stroll in on a Sunday if you don’t get here early. Thanks, all, for the rec! I can’t wait to comb through this list.

4 Likes

Glad it worked out! Now thanks to your son and your post, you have piqued my interest on the pancakes. I am so down for pancakes and for some odd reason, have yet to have them at Early Bird. Thanks.

1 Like

@A5KOBE Thanks! I really wanted to try today’s churro waffles, but I was really trying to be good. The griddle cakes were crisp on the outside and super fluffy…I’m not sure I can recreate that at home. While the kid loved the S’mores…I don’t think there was an even enough distribution of chocolate, marshmallows, and graham flavors and textures.

If they still have them, the carnitas chilaquiles are/were amazing.

@OCSteve I saw it on the menu today. Perhaps next time…thanks!

Ordered pizza for delivery last night from Pizzamania in Whittier. It’s a local place and prime dinner time, so it was understandable when they quoted me an hour wait time. The pizzas arrived in 45 minutes. Everything was piping hot and the crust was very crisp and the toppings were plentiful. Now I usually judge the quality of a pizza joint just on their basic cheese alone, and the cheese was very good. The family salad was a throwaway, but I needed to have something green and fresh. We would gladly order from this place, again.

3 Likes

I forgot about that place. I used to head in there for pizza and pitchers when I worked in Whittier about 15 years ago. I remember it being pretty solid.

The Bottle Room (Whittier) - Here’s a picture of that Pork Belly Taco my son can’t get enough and of his girlfriend’s beloved Turkey Avocado Burger.

3 Likes