Who else has contemplated CH Hari-Kari?

I don’t see the need to make any grandiose exit.

I’ll relate my past experience with message boards – about 15 years total on fishing message boards – which obviously is a bit different from food boards, but the overall point still carries. In the late 90s-early 2000s, the main board was small, tightly knit and productive. People posted information freely and the atmosphere was friendly.

As it grew and changed ownership, it devolved into a lot of flame wars and bickering, which led to over-moderating, and a lot of the old guard took a backseat and started lurking. Substantive reports became rare.

Then everyone switched to a new site, which was great but ultimately went down a similar road.

This seems to be the pattern for message boards. Chowhound really was no different, except for the main difference being that they really did themselves in instead of dying a “natural” death.

I know change is almost never excepted with open arms. I wasn’t happy about what happened at chowhound either. But what I’ve learned from my past experiences is that when the new site is born, the tightly knit, friendly and productive atmosphere returns. I see that here, and I’m glad. I hope it lasts!

Chowhound still has a function – it is still a good archive for past discussions and tips from before the revamp. But I’ll be making all my future posts here.

The only one who really committed “hari kari” was CH itself. Personally, I’ll just let the past be the past, move on and enjoy this new site.

3 Likes

Hi
Longtime lurker on Chowhound. Glad to find you guys still active. Its amazing how fast it went downhill

2 Likes

Hi kyoshi,

Welcome! Glad you found us. :smile:

Spread the word.

1 Like

Found it due to LA Times article. Thank God. Even Kevin is here!

3 Likes

We have a very Fucking Odd Kevin here.
Never come across an Even Kevin.
Welcome.

1 Like

Who cares anymore about CH. This site is so much more fucking fun! And almost all the cool kids have already migrated here.

4 Likes

i found his favorite restaurant

3 Likes

NO ONE TRIED TO POACH ME, NOT DOMMY, CIAO BOB, NO ONE, WESTSIDE GAL, NADA, I GUESS I HAVE BEEN FORGOTTEN! :confused:

aww BB—nobody probably knew how to get in touch. but, hey—you found us and WELCOME!!! Happy your here!

I did, my friend. Many times. But your profile left no forwarding address (as evidenced below).

And any mention of Food Talk Central at Chowhound was quickly zapped into the ether-netherworld.

1 Like

TY, good to see some fimilar names, where is Chino Wayne? LOL

Oh, well I am, sort of, kind of on the DL. Ok, so maaaaaaybe you tried, Thank You! LOL Next time come and drag me out of the house and take me to the club house! LOL

1 Like

I tried to spread the word. Either way, welcome!

1 Like

Chino Wayne passed away a couple years ago.

Sevrog mentioned to us.

Btw where in fucks name is Sevrog ???

Who let the riff raff in?

They must be really bored over there - someone bumped my bull penis post from 3 years ago.

1 Like

i thought i made it fairly obvious

mouth-watering and…eye-watering as well.

i had a ball there.

i didn’t have your email addy!!
you were the FIRST person i would have tried to poach!

I hope they revive that Stinking Rose steak thread.

4 Likes