Who has Bomb Nachos?

real cheese. no sauce please. I used to get Teres. Been disappointed. Los Anaya is a no, don’t want crumble cheese.

Thanks

1 Like

I seem to recall ER Bar having a nachos night?

2 Likes

Warrior: I am not a nachos expert, but Bar Ama in DTLA is worth a try. It is a bechamel based cheese sauce.

2 Likes

Playa Mesa in Costa Mesa.

1 Like

Mexicali has bomb nachos but that’s because they use both sauce and cheese.

4 Likes

Los Agaves - Westlake Village

Nachos w/ carne asada (note this was at the Goleta location) They have a salsa bar as well.

Super Pollo - Costa Mesa

Chicken nachos sin sour cream

7 Likes

God…what is better then a great plate of “loaded” fucking nachos?

13 Likes

My favorite comes from Juanita’s out in Ontario/Pomona/Rancho Cucamonga. They make their own tortillas and they fry them to make chips. It is shredded cheese, and goes great with their pork chile verde. It’s a gut busting, overflowing box, but super satisfying. Haven’t had one recently comes close.
Excepting for those days where I smoke a brisket and a smoked tomato salsa so I can have nachos myself.

9 Likes

Odd recommendations from me, but they are both crave worthy:

Chez Jay’s steak nachos are fantastic.

Duke’s chicken nachos are out of this world.

3 Likes

This combo is key. Single-cheese source nachos always underwhelm.

I think the crucial ingredient for great nachos is a bellyful of beer.

3 Likes

Always enjoyed the Loteria nachos back when it was at the Farmers Market. Quality chips and ample toppings, especially the cheese. Looks like the only remaining location is at Pico/Crenshaw.

2 Likes

surf & turf loaded nachos and a beer.

2 Likes

was thinking about doing this, but getting the brisket from bludso’s. ~Lazy~

2 Likes

Baja Fish Tacos has good nachos. Cheese, beans and meat on good tortillas chips. Olives don’t really do much for me. All cold elements (sour cream, guacamole, pico and salsa) on the side to add as you please. I think the key is having pico de gallo and spicy salsa. Each add a distinct element.

2 Likes

El Cholo has bomb nachos. Chips, cheese with a little bit of tomato and jalapeno. Perfection.

4 Likes

Our son lives within 10 minutes of Playa Mesa so I checked their menu after seeing your rec. Nachos don’t seem to be on the menu so I assume they’ll do it if you ask? Anything special to request?

I think nachos are a flawed dish to begin with depending on how it is constructed in addition to that the meal begins to deteriorate the deeper you get. That being said, can’t mention nachos without mentioning the one that tries to avoid those inherent flaws.
Chili’s, baby.

Now all we need to do is find others that procure better ingredients and execute just the same.

King Taco is another guilty pleasure but suffers the same fate of soggy chips

2 Likes

La Cabañita in La Canada does this! It’s pretty bomb. Each bite a perfect nacho.

[photo by stunningly prolific Google Maps reviewer Stephen O’Bryan]

4 Likes

Honorable mention for Freebirds in Goleta. Anybody that has even been to UCSB most likely knows (but may not remember) these nachos:

1 Like