Will Owen's oh-so-perfect pork shoulder recipe

Ah, I’m catholiver@aol.com

Got it! Thanks. I’ve never cooked it as long as you or they. I only do it to about 180 but I like to slice it. Sometimes I’ve made it the day before. Then sliced and reheated in the slow cooker.

Here’s a photo but I’d already cut off a chunk for a son-in-law to take with him…and a few of us had picked at it :slight_smile: As usual I refrigerated the ‘jus’, removed the fat and reduced it greatly. Bob played in a golf tournament today and when he got home midafternoon he said “it smells like Will Owen here!” LOL. @nashwill

1 Like

[catholiver] catholiver http://foodtalkcentral.com/users/catholiver
July 18

Here’s a photo but I’d already cut off a chunk for a son-in-law to
take with him…and a few of us had picked at it :slight_smile: As
usual I refrigerated the ‘jus’, removed the fat and reduced it
greatly. Bob played in a golf tournament today and when he got home
midafternoon he said “it smells like Will Owen here!” LOL. @nashwill
http://foodtalkcentral.com/users/nashwill

https://www.foodtalkcentral.com/uploads/short-url/bWci6Pv19bhx0ex6PLTT0oyJm4c.jpg

Hell, Cath, I ain’t never smelled like that in my life! Well, maybe the
first time I used the water smoker and hovered over it for ten hours on
a day that was maybe three degrees cooler than what the pig was going
through …

The crock pot was not an unqualified success. I think the best device,
one I almost forgot about, is the Westinghouse electric cooker I have
out back – a big vessel of heating elements with a pan that fits into
it. big enough to hold maybe an 18-lb turkey, set into a sheet-metal
cabinet base. The juice goes to a timer in the base, then from that to
the cooking vessel; it’s like the serious ancestor of the crockpot. It
is much more an oven than a crockpot is, and it has a heat knob marked
in degrees. I call it R2D2 because that’s what it looks like. That will
be the cooker for my next butt for sure.

Always lovely to hear from you –

W.

We had a wonderful sandwich from it today. Toasted sourdough with mayo and pepper. Just “perfect” :slight_smile:

That sounds pretty good! I sorta tend to lose the plot dealing with leftovers, since I’m so used to making family meals from those and Tania no longer eats that kind of thing. Nor does she eat white bread, which is not sold a few slices at a time … so I just kind of nibble until it’s all gone. Not exactly a painful assignment!

Our kids, SILs and grands just all left. I think leftover Will Owen :slight_smile: will like be tonight’s dinner.

Okay, @nashwill and others. You can see I’ve been making this for a long, LONG time. And it’s perfect. But now I’ve decided to start keeping small’ish pork shoulder roasts, cooked, on hand. It seems like we frequently don’t have ‘stuff’ on hand for lunches or supper (instead of dinner). I have a small one 3-4# probably and have been looking online. Nothing else sings to me like Will Owen’s. Do you have a real go-to for tender but not needing to be falling off the bone? This one is basically 30 minutes at 450 uncovered and the rest covered at 250 for 3 or more hours. I’m thinking I may just change the seasoning to just s&p. Or ??? Angy suggestions are appreciated. TIA.

3 Likes