Willie Mae Fried Chicken

Not my experience. Had a fine couple of pieces in December. Prob depends on the crew and - maybe in December - the Venice locale wasn’t open yet, so I had the A Team.

1 Like

I’ve not tried the Colony Kitchen for Willie Mae’s but have been a few times to the brick & mortar in Venice and have enjoyed the chicken each time. Pretty good gumbo, too.

1 Like

That’s gotta be it. The staff yesterday was young, goofing-off and on their phones. There was hardly any customers, but the hot chicken place nearby was really busy with customers.

A friend wants to go tonight, how is the wait? Is there still a wait? Thinking of going around 6 or 7.

The chicken has a flaky crust, airy and light, like tempura. I enjoyed my meal

16 Likes

How was the wait? What time did you go?

There was no wait. We went at 5:30. We were there until 7ish. There is no wait. FYI, prince street pizza had their opening night next door and was giving out free food and drinks. it was nice. line was too long for the free pizza.

5 Likes

I had no idea they were opening in Venice. I was disappointed the few times I went to Prince Street so I’m kind of over them.

Thanks for the report on Willie Mae!

3 Likes

Ah that’s what was going on! I saw the crowd on the sidewalk on my way home from work.

1 Like

Photo from a recent visit to the original for comparative reference

9 Likes

Got delivery I assume from the ghost kitchen and goddamn it is fantastic. Flavor + crunch

9 Likes

Ordered for lunch today through Colony (the West LA ghost kitchen) and despite picking it up almost 15 min after my order was ready, the fry on the chicken was still very crispy, light, and crunchy. You can select what part of the chicken you want for an extra $2 or allow them to pick without an additional fee for the entree plate. I let them decide since I don’t have a preferential and ended up with a breast and thigh. Both the cornbread and Mac and Cheese were solid, had better. Only negative is that I had bad indigestion hours later after my meal, hoping it was my body not being able to handle the greasy, fried food vs. an improper cook on the chicken. Giving my stomach a break from fried foods for now…

5 Likes

that’s a… pretty bad negative…

1 Like