Woon (Historic Filipinotown): A Pictorial Essay

You’re paying for that hipster vibe tax!

Agreed, perhaps not a contender vs SGV, but good for the neighborhood and the surrounding area. My noodles were quite bouncy at the top, but at the bottom they got a little gummy because they were sitting in the sauce. I liked the dish, but the oyster sauce was really heavy-handed. The vinegar and chili sauce on the side helped balance it, but I could’ve done with less oyster sauce.

I was more impressed with the sides and “salads” - the chilled cucumber/tofu dish was tasty, and the fried fishcakes and soy wraps were fried really nicely, piping hot and crisp, not greasy. Everything’s a bit on the salty side to me, but nothing was a dealbreaker.

2 Likes

Popped into Woon Sunday night for dinner. Noodles are still good. They had several new menu items since my last visit. We tried the five spice chicken wings—really yummy. Crispy with a pronounced ginger and garlic flavor. Our neighboring table had a plate of Chinese broccoli that looked very good. My only slight complaint was that the size of my glass of wine (for $11) could have been larger—next time I’ll stick to beer. They have more folks working in the kitchen and I was glad to see it bustling on a Sunday evening.

1 Like

I ordered delivery from here. My Chinese wife and I found the food mediocre – more oily than anything else. I couldn’t discern much skill in the cooking. I don’t think the noodle quality was any better than that of the fresh noodles sold in the refrigerator section of Ranch 99 (which, to be fair, are good quality). Put simply, every Chinese restaurant I’ve been to in the SGV that I can remember (easily over 100) has been better than this restaurant in my opinion. I would say Peking Tavern is better as well.

2 Likes

I would have attributed it to the “delivery/takeout tax” but I have to agree with you here on the noodles. When I got it (dine in) the noodles were pretty gummy. Any average Shanghainese place in the SGV would have had better noodles, but I guess if you’re in the neighborhood and don’t want to go east of the 110, this is as good as it gets?

yup. This is a less than 10 minute drive for me. The vinegar and chili oil cut the gummy-ness of the noodles and brighten up the flavor.

I’m personally not a fan of delivery food in general. I find that most hot foods do not travel well----due to being packed in containers immediately after being cooked. Food arrives steamed instead of crispy, over cooked, cold or soggy, etc. It’s never as good as eating in-house. At my last job, we ordered delivery for lunch every day. The only foods I’ve found that arrive in decent condition with a typical 45 minute + delivery time are: cold sandwiches, salads, soups, stews or curries, burritos and rice dishes.

3 Likes