WSGV updates

i’d hate to lose shanghai dumpling house

Mrs. Chandavkl said that Boston Lobster and the massage place next door were boarded up. Any info?

this is news to me.

I noticed that too, but there were diners going in and out yet. It appears to be some sort of mall renovation.

Q for you WSGV expert(s)…what’s the early word on Tang Gong? Thinking about going to check it out this weekend. Thanks!

The specials menu at Tang Gong got Chiu Chow Stewed Duck and Shunde style fish balls. That appeals more to me than the usual dim sum classics.

Call me crazy, but this stir fried noodles appears to be spaghetti, same size and texture.

Good wok hei flavor though, I liked it quite a bit. A lot of diners were ordering it too.

Am I crazy?

from where?
Thx

101 Noodle Express - Alhambra

If you try, please confirm I’m not crazy and it is indeed spaghetti noodles.

Beef roll was really good, better than my previous visit.

i personally am not a big fan of 101 noodle express. they may have been all that 10 years ago with their beef roll, but other places caught up with them. then when the alhambra location expanded and jacked up their prices relying on their reputation, i started going to other places. they’ve been a bit uneven over the last 6-7 years but i much prefer flavor garden/zui xiang yuan (i don’t understand why yelp categorized them as szechuan) across the street, though to be fair, it’s probably been 6 months since i’ve been there. i’d take you kitchen in the same plaza over 101 noodle express for QPR. their lamb dumplings come with a sauce i’ve never seen before that goes complements the dumplings.

also chibiscus (sp?) ramen in the ranch 99 on main in alhambra - i wouldn’t buy any stock; they’re open, but their entire back counter was empty and there was a sign saying help wanted and it took at least 2-3 minutes before anyone in the back come out and waited on people waiting at the counter.

the new branch of delicious food corner on las tunas is doing booming business. a friend who works nearby says he doesn’t even bother trying to go for lunch because of the wait. the point is that even though the majority of new restaurants are all non-cantonese, there’s still a huge demand for the HK style stuff DFC offers.

i decided to check yelp reviews and according to one review:

1. sounds like they are the original owners of wang jia. shanghai bistro, which is a very good thing IMO.

2. they need business. we need to give them some.

EDIT: had lunch today, talked with one of the staff and confirmed that they are the folks who took over at wang jia. more on that later.

their take on chicken fried with chilis is a little different; not only was the chicken NOT deep fried, they used szechuan chili oil as a source of heat.

what wasn’t different was that the dish was primarily red chilis (afterwards)

the wuxi ribs were good

but the XLB were a disappointment: a thicker almost mealy wrapper surrounding a tasty but barely moist filling.

one member of the wait staff who has anointed herself marketing director told us in decent english that the owners shop for groceries every morning so that the ingredients are always fresh.

sure enough - as mentioned in the latest eater roundup penned by @JThur01, the original owners of delicious food corner opened alice’s kitchen (cue the guitar) in MP.

in the same mall as the ranch 99 in arcadia:

tucked in between ranch 99 & the food court:

a branch of ludingji which has been there about a year

and in the food court:
a korean place opened inside the mall about 18 months ago with little fanfare. ktown express serves korean food which appears to be competitively priced for the food court. can not vouch for the quality though.

1 Like

a recent article in eater clarified that they’re doing zhejiang cuisine, including a beggar’s chicken which is not on the menu and must be ordered 24 hours in advance (as it takes hours to cook). $45

the article also confirms lineage from chang’s kitchen - the head chef opened chang’s kitchen & developed the menu there.

1 Like

Looks similar to the one they have at Chang’s Garden in Arcadia.

well, the recipe comes from the same chef. apparently i failed to make that clear in my post.

Is it perhaps Shanghai-style chow mein noodles?

There is definitely a significant demand for HK style food. I’ve been to Delicious Food Corner a few times. The wait is a bit longer because it’s such a small facility. I think it’s humorous that they have an ATM inside because they don’t take credit cards.

They’re not the only ones. Quite a few Asian restaurants that only accept cash have an ATM inside their restaurant. Pa Ord on Sunset in Hollywood has one. Hey, why lose a customer simply because they didn’t know they needed cash to pay for their meal?

i thought this curious; upon further reflection, i’ve assumed that the decline in # of cantonese restaurants being replaced by other regional cuisines reflected the shift in demand related to the change of demographics in terms of chinese emigrants. it now occurs to me that it could also reflect original owners/founders retiring with no children wanting to take over the business.

but i’ve also mentally associated cantonese with HK which isn’t necessarily appropriate. this is kinda weird, since while i like DFC,
i definitely put HK cafe dinner cuisine in its own category, but DFC is to me more breakfast oriented - even though DFC is open until 10pm. i have limited affinity for HK style dinner items, so i couldn’t tell you if the HK cafe sector has declined or remained fairly stable.

it would be interesting (to me, anyway) to determine if there’s a significant percentage of non-HK born/affiliated patrons going to HK (vs. straight cantonese) places…

It looked exactly like spaghetti noodles, perfectly cylindrical. It even handled like spaghetti when serving and eating.