WSGV updates

Hong Kong Cafe on Garvey in Monterey Park has flipped again, back to Hong Kong Cafe food from takeout dim sum.

4 Likes

Great news! @moonboy403

2 Likes

Yes sir. I saw it online but no words on whether it’s the OG crew.

2 Likes

Is the hot Coca-Cola with lemon & ginger back on the menu?

Well the original owner sold it maybe 10 years ago and I thought it dropped off after that.

1 Like

I don’t drink soda & had no idea that was a thing so I googled it -wow

Folks have been drinking hot Dr. Pepper (with or without lemon) for decades. Not aware of any medicinal claims.

My mom used to make this for me when I had a sore throat (she’s from HK)! It seemed to work (or maybe it just tasted better than that mysterious Chinese syrup that she gave me from some ceramic jar).

1 Like

I actually like the taste!

3 Likes

Loquats FTW. Coats and soothes the posterior pharynx.

1 Like

Shanghai No 1 Seafood Village is gone.

Hong Kong Cafe on Garvey in Monterey Park has done a double flip. Back to Cafe food from dim sum. Presumably another change of ownership.

Things must be looking up. A new tenant is finally moving into the old East Gourmet Seafood location in Rosemead which shuttered a couple of years ago. It’s called Blooming VIP and seems to be of the same ilk as East Gourmet was. However it looks to be a long way from opening.

From the Chinese name looks like “Royal Feast”?

OK, maybe it was really East San Gabriel Valley, but I had a cheeseburger today at Jim’s in El Monte. The place is rundown. But the burger was pretty good as a whole. The tomato although not cold was too white so I ditched it after a few bites. But the bun, the condiments, even the well cooked meat were spot on.

1 Like

El Monte I personally consider WSGV. ESGV would be east of 605.

I have a soft spot for those charbroiled burger spots

2 Likes

i prefer to think of el monte as WSGV adjacent, which reflects my personal view that the WSGV is largely synonymous with chinese cuisine. to be sure, el monte has their share of chinese residents, but they’re largely vietnamese chinese, which is reflected in the type of restaurants in el monte that get the most mention here. even the places in monrovia that i recall being mentioned have been primarily chinese. and monrovia is clearly farther east than elmonte is.

and even though pasadena is technically WSGV, pasadena has its own thread.

El Monte has several of my favorite non-Vietnamese Chinese eateries including Spring Shabu Shabu, Ocean Bo (where the former Embassy Kitchen head chef does dinner), Mr Chopsticks, Corner Beef Noodle and Auntie Kitchen (formerly Auntie Ping). Definitely WSGV now.

1 Like

when that time comes, ok, but for now i’m still more likely to go to el monte for vietnamese or mexican like burritos la palma.

i don’t doubt that economics plays a factor; median house price is still under $500k in el monte, but for 1st generation chinese immigrants, getting the kids into the best school systems possible seem to trump any other considerations. not that el monte school systems are that bad, but compared to la canada, san marino, arcadia & south pas, etc. which rank in the top 25 statewide…

1 Like

went down to liang’s kitchen in MP last night only to discover it was closed. don’t think they’re closed on wednesdays. got my noodle fix at northern cafe on garfield instead. prefer their knife cut noodles to their pulled rendition.