WSGV updates

Love At The Curb replaces the San Gabriel location of Malubianbian in the historic Mei Long Village location.

Lady Yan’s replaces the Dongbei GV Yummy with Sichuan food at the historic Jumbo Seafood site in Alhambra.

i see that you posted one of the two reviews on yelp.

apparently gv yummy is part of some international conglomerate. so much for their foray into LA.

Lily’s Kitchen replaces Nha Trang Kitchen on Main Street Alhambra.

1 Like

Thanks to the pandemic, I’m so out of the loop that I missed that the Qingdao restaurant had closed, and had been replaced by a Dongbei place.

Former site of The Kitchen, and so many more…

Most famously Jumbo Seafood, one of the pioneering Hong Kong style seafood restaurants that I still think about decades later! Not sure if you remember that, but if not, it later became NYC Jumbo. I think 10 Chinese restaurants in all at 203 W. Valley Blvd.

Pho Ever replaces Hanashima by the San Bernardino Freeway at Garfield. Hanashima was once one of the better Japanese restaurants in the area, but it was sold a few years ago (somebody said to a Chinese owner) and it was downhill from there.

1 Like

i live a lot closer, and it escaped my attention as well - and i LIKE dongbei cuisine.

the only iteration i favored at that location was the one that did the lamb rib rack with four sauces (happy table), though i noticed that the qingdao place that followed it also offered that same lamb rib rack. IIRC, we couldn’t find it on the menu, so we showed the waiter a pic and ordered it that way. again IIRC happy table also featured a $6 lunch special menu that failed to attract that many customers.

no great loss; that branch was the weakest of the chain. and now 5 stars hue is the better option for central vietnamese in the SGV anyway.

1 Like

The Sichuan Food at Lady Yan’s is…unexpected. I went for lunch and the clientele and service workers were all speaking Cantonese. Mapo tofu was decent, but my twice-cooked pork had a really gamey taste and had no peppers in it at all and was strangely sweet. I think they just stir fried it with a little bit of doubanjang and sugar.

kinda like how i feel going to lunasia and hearing the clientele and service workers all speaking mandarin.

I Googled the new place. Interestingly, photo of the new restaurant has the same NT logo on it’s new outside sign as the rest of the NT branches. What gives?

2 Likes

Could it be a remnant that hasn’t been removed? For example in the preceding discussion about Lady Yan replacing GV Yummy, the only English language signage on the building says New Qingdao, which was the restaurant before GV Yummy. Indeed I had no clue that Lady Yan had opened up until somebody told me about it.

Photo of Lily’s Kitchen Alhambra from Web :

Do they have to copy NT’s logo after a name change?
Sorry, due to restriction, I can only post one embedded photo per post. Hopefully, I can post the photo of Monterey Park’s NT in my following post.

Photo of NT Monterey Park :

Note the similarities in the two Logos.

maybe it’s a quick changeover and they didn’t get to remove the signage?

Don’t want to pay for a new sign :100:

2 Likes

LOL Zabies dot com

The former 0410 Music BBQ Bar double murder site on Garvey Ave. in Monterey Park will have a new tenant after a year of vacancy. Appears to be a Hong Kong style dim sum restaurant, based on the pictures pasted on the windows.

1 Like

Alhambra branch of Embassy Kitchen is now Double One Cuisine and no longer AYCE.

what a coincidence; i deleted my yelp review of the other (original) embassy kitchen location this morning. that second location went through more changes than a _ (fill in your own funny choice here)___