WSGV updates

Well they seem to have gone well past this, having just bought LA Chinatown’s CBS Seafood. Doesn’t seem like they’ll convert that to a Mama Lu’s, though.

1 Like

I’m confused :thinking: I thought this space was a BBQ chicken place. Granted, it was hard to keep up with Mama Lu/Mama’s Lu, but I wasn’t aware of them having an Alhambra location. I was aware of three different Monterey Park locations, and locations in San Gabriel and City of Industry.

havent been in a while…not sure what it is now

I think that covers it.

1 Like

Pho Vit replaces the main 5 Stars Hue location in El Monte. That leaves the South El Monte Superstore location as the only outpost of this restaurant, as Alhambra is gone, too.

2 Likes

Sunrise Noodle House opens in former location of Tai Siu in San Gabriel. Tai Siu moved a few months ago to a new location on Valley Blvd. in Rosemead.

Auntie Kitchen replaces Vietnam Kitchen on Las Tunas in San Gabriel. Ever since since taking over Auntie Ping’s Kitchen in El Monte just two years ago they have made quite a name for themselves. This is their third location and were included in the latest Eater article as one of the best Chinese restaurants around.

Meet You BBQ replaces Yoshino Sushi, the AYCE sushi place, in San Gabriel.

The recently opened Hong Kong Dim Sum House on Las Tunas in San Gabriel is obviously doing quite well. They just opened a second location on Garvey in South El Monte.

5 Likes

That place is really good I got some egg tarts, sticky rice and char sui bao from there a couple weeks back. Affordable fast and easy

1 Like

Love Ducks replaces Happy Dumpling House in the Alhambra 99 Ranch Market after what seems like only a few weeks.

Diamond Bar’s Chan Kee opening branch in Monrovia, replacing Deer House.

1 Like

Are any of the other spots in the Mian shopping center good? I always see a huge line at the boba place but there are a bunch of other restaurants, most of which look pretty new

Everytime I go in to that shopping cneter I shed a tear for te departed Mei Long Village

J& J has its fans but I have never tried it.

3 Likes

The boba shop there is decent. I think they burn their tea a bit but they use decent quality stuff.

You can order online - usually need 30 minutes ahead.

1 Like

THANK YOU! I see the lines and after trying it twice I was like MEH!!! I like the tea at Pot of Cha near USC worlds better, you can smell the tea brewing… it’s STUNNING.

J&J is gone.

2 Likes

RIP J&J.

They were one of the best (if not THE best) XLB slingers ever to do business in the SGV, even before XLBs gained mass appeal.

5 Likes

I should have gone to J&J but the pull of fried yellow croaker, pork pump, mustard green/tofu knots, and braised fish head pulled me into Mei Long every time. Though, Mei Long’s XLB though were horrendous - one steamer had nearly all broken baos. Had I known about a Bang Bang, in my early years of scouring the SGV, I could have gone to both.

3 Likes

New Haojing in Alhambra is gone. Quite a surprise.